Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limewire

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

theoneandonly1

theoneandonly1

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am curious to know how people can download Limewire onto their systems and not recieve viruses. My girlfriend has the same visus protection as me and erverything. My dad also has Limewire and recieves no viruses. Now when I download Limewire onto my computer I get viruses or Limewire messes up my computer. I would REALLY like to dowload Limewire but I would also like to know how to prevent this problem.

Thank you

p.s. they do not have Limewire Pro

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I dont think you suppose to use any software that has Spywares/Viruses like Limewire or Kazaa.

Usually, downloading free music from any P2P softwares are illegal.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ok I'll tell you how to protect your computer against viruses, spyware, and malware on Limewire

1: Do not download small files,,,,,ie. 254kb <almost always a virus>
2: Do not download programs off of Limewire <usually illegal anyways>
3: Be weary of quicktime movies <almost always loaded with a webpage pertaining to spyware>

I have made a few viruses myself, to test on my own machines so I know what i'm talking about. It's the small files that will get you. I usually do not dowload anything less than 2mb.

Hope this helps you Limewire User! :whistling:

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Geeks To Go do not provide assistance with P2P questions!

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
my son uses limewire and i have good a/v and defenders sometimes it stops a virus and some i get infected - simple solution - i deleted limewire.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
P2P services like Limewire is ok just as long as you are not violating any copyright laws. People do create homemade videos and put them on there for others to view, such as Killsometime.com. Also Limewire has you agree to their agreement that you will not use the software illegally.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Please Read Our Terms of Service. We do not support p2p applications at this site.

But to answer the original question. Limewire contains advertising, some of which comes from known spyware companies. Also you have no guarantee as the file content your downloading until you download it and try it out. There are numerous examples of this. The largest spyware install found to date came from a p2p download. Here is another article http://blog.spywareg...pam_in_p2p.html

Several more artilces found on http://vitalsecurity.org/

Recomendations:

uninstall limewire
keep your system patched
use an antivirus
use anti-spyware
use a firewall

And most of all be aware that your personal surfing habits have a direct impact on you getting infected or spammed. .