Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repaired windows, now wont access internet

• Please log in to reply

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My girlfriend has a custom built computer that I built for her, recently her windows XP crashed (possible virus or worm). So I gaver her my Windows XP disc to repair windows, it basicaly did a re-install repair and asked for registration... Well now her computer is back up and running, but this time she cannot access the internet, through IE or Firefox. She has a wireless network in her home (D-link), her parents computer having the main connection. Nothing has changed at all, she is connected to the router but just does not have internet access. This is not the first time it has happened, but last time I ran winsockxpfix and it fixed it right up. She ran it again this time, and it is not fixing the problem.
I have tried searching for a fix, and came up with nothing. I am hoping some one here can help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by kewofkrew, 18 September 2006 - 02:41 PM.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ok I will list these in order to try and prevent confusion.

Most info accessed through start<control panel<network connections

1. Turn off the Windows XP wireless Lan firewall<make sure to have a virus protection system in use ie. Avast!
2. Try accessing
3. Disable the LAN connection <not the wireless Lan connection, sometimes the LAN connection will cause problems.>
4. Try accessing

************Most likely cause********
5. Network Setup Wizard<make sure the Workgroup Name is the same as the other computers, checking parents comp go to right-click my comp>properties>Computer Name>then Workgroup name will be displayed. Make sure yours is the same as the parents whenever doin the network setup.
6. Reboot and try accessing
7. Hook up directly, enabling LAN connection :whistling:

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I tried to get her to try some of the stuff you suggested, and her parents got mad at her trying to fix it, so they ended up replacing it and wasting money. Not a good choice but oh well. Thanks for the reply anyway Bobbydoo8.

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi,

did you say they replaced the computer because of a network problem

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
They replaced everything, computer and router. Not a good choice, and they won't listen to me so I kind of have no say in the matter. :whistling:

Edited by kewofkrew, 21 September 2006 - 12:25 AM.