Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recommend: security (antivirus,firewall etc)

• Please log in to reply

hihassan

hihassan

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
:help: i was using panda platinum 2006 i had issues with it but still it really helped me alot but its expired a week ago and i dont have money to renew it lol ... so i m looking for free good security for my comp ... i have heard that avast could be the best but i m not sure ... does avast can also disinfect spywares n addwares etc or do i need another program for it ... can it alone protect my comp :whistling: after reading a couple of posts with same theme i m really confused ... and after checking snapfiles.com i m really really confused :) ... any recommendations ... i m sorry for posting "another security advice thread" but really i badly needed it ... :blink:

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi hihassan. read this and it will help you make
up your mind.

http://www.geekstogo...ources-t38.html

you will find a lot of good programs there.

I like avast and use it and its free.
avast.com
a good firewall try zonealarm I think they have a free one.
zonealarm.com
I use zonealarm pro. :whistling:

Edited by 4238dwight, 18 September 2006 - 05:26 PM.

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yeah i saw that earlier before posting ... doesnt avast have firewall ? can it remove spyware or addware ? can it alone protect my comp ? thats the questions that r rising in my mind lol ... coz as u just said that u use avast and in the end u mentioned that u use zonealarm pro too ...

after checking reviews i have decided to go for avast ... but do i need additional firewall?

Edited by hihassan, 18 September 2006 - 09:08 PM.

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yes you will need a seperate firewall installed, Avast is a dedicted Virus checker and will not protect the ports, (as with any other dedicated virus checker.) Grab yourself a copy of either Zonealarm or Kerio Firewall both have free versions available that you can use and both are good in their job.

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks ... so i just need firewall + avast = comp secure :whistling:

do i also need any spyware remover too with it or avast can do the job ... mcafee site advisor is good but it cant scan comp to remove spyware ... what do u say :blink:

Edited by hihassan, 19 September 2006 - 12:15 AM.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
I run two firewalls windows sp2 and zonealarm pro.
avast is a antivirus program.
for spyware i use spybot search and destroy 1.4

http://filehippo.com/

I don't care for mcafee.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Here's what I use and I never get viruses, spyware, malware, etc.

Updated Firefox
Windows XP Pro w/SP2
Startup Inspector
Avast!
Adaware SE Professional w/adwatch -- prolly the best virus protection program ever, protects the registry

:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :lol:

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Have a read of this info here -> So how did I get infected in the first place? Theres a few programs that are recommended and other steps you can take to secure your PC. A good source of info

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
:whistling: thanks

ok ... i m going to use

1. firefox (updated),
2. avast,
3. spybot search n destroy 1.4,
4. zonealarm (free version)

i hope it will protect my comp better :blink: :help: :)

Edited by hihassan, 19 September 2006 - 12:59 PM.

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help:

wow .... its even better than panda omg ... zonealarm is cool and with avast, firefox, spybot its awesome ... i m feeling much secure ... thank you all ... thanks alot

:) :lol: :rofl:

THANK YOU !!!!

Edited by hihassan, 19 September 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
We are glad we all could help you.

Edited by 4238dwight, 20 September 2006 - 05:36 AM.

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok i m not much satisfied with avast ... it can find any virus from anywhere but it cant disinfect most of them instead it just gives an option to either to delete it or to move it to chest ... its power of disinfecting viruses is not so good ... :whistling: any recommendations

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go with AVG Free, download and save it, uninstall Avast, install AVG Free

You can use these whenever to crosscheck the installed anri virus programme

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks for ur reply ... actually i havent generated virus recovery database (VRDB) i think thats the problem i m doing it right now ... i hope it works ... :)

its like same ... its giving error in repairing the file (cant process) ... i dont know what to do ... what if i just put them in virus chest and forget them all ... cant i disinfect them ... if i delete these files it may make windows to give errors ... i m going to try AVG ... :whistling:

i used AVG it cant even disinfect Win32/Chir which is common malware ... only option is to move the file to virus vault ... it cant disinfect some of the common malwares ... detection is good but healing is not as good ... it also deleted some of the files without asking lol .... any recommendations ... and avast's detection is much better than AVG's i have read many reviews everyone recommend avast most of all ... is it only me who dont know to how to use it :blink: ... can it disinfect every virus on ur system ???

actually i have a lack of knowledge with antiviruses i have used trial version of norton (i didnt like it) and panda platinum 2006 it can disinfect almost every virus ... it also use huge memory means slow comp lol ... i like avast but i cant disinfect viruses with it or is it just limited to deal with a few number of viruses ? :help:

Edited by hihassan, 20 September 2006 - 12:50 PM.

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i m still on :whistling: anyone