Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus is suspected to make windows xp immobile

• Please log in to reply

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
The title pretty much sums it up.

I am running Windows XP, and starting from the past few days, I have been experiencing problems.

When I turn on my computer, everything loads fine. After Windows XP finishes "loading my personal settings", the desktop with the desktop items and the start bar on the bottom loads fine.

However, when I click any item on the QuickLaunch bar--whether it is Mozilla Firefox, Word, iTunes, etc.--nothing comes up. It is not, emphasis on the not, frozen, as if I hover my mouse over the icons, a shadow appears on the bottom--which means it is active, I suppose.

On rare occasions, after I click the Start button after startup, the Start menu freezez, but the main desktop hasn't-- I can still double click "My Computer", for example, granted that it is not covered by the frozen start menu. It will even come up, and I can click around for a few minutes until it freezes.

However, sometimes I am able to restart and everthing is fine.

When a professional replies, I will post a HijackThis log if he/she wants me to :]]

Thanks,

aznjockboiX

Advertisements