Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW COMPUTER BUILD

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I know a little about copmuters and how they work, and I understand about the incompatibility of certain things etc...I also know how to put a PC together (or take it apart rather, I figure just the same thing in reverse! lol)

I have a budget of about £500 but would prefer not to spend it all.

I basically want to build a desktop PC with a lot of memory (I have a lot of music and picture files and also am taking a course at Uni which involves Video Editing, a surefire memory chomper).

I also like playing games so would want something capable of playing the latest ones.

That's about it really...If I'm being ridiculous in my budget then fair enough, but tell me that!

As I said I'm a complete virgin to this, so any advice is good advice.

Also, if you could recommend a good place to get the cheapest peripherals, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Tom

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might be a little ambitous at least if you want a good vid editing system, if you need a monitor you really are to ambitous you could get a respectable base unit for £500 not fantastic but fast enough to satisfy most easily but with a monitor and peripherals you might struggle, take a look at AMD systems they are a little cheaper if not maybe the best for what you want but you cant afford intel core 2 so AM2 X2 is the way to go. i would rake around overclockers.co.uk get an idea of parts and prices its easy to navigate which is why im reccomending it to you to look for parts.