Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ok so i have an 80 GB HD. Its a laptop. I've run the Vista Upgrade Advisor and says the only holding me back is a few drivers and some other programs. Here are the only things im worried about uninstalling(it doesn't say i have to just that it might not function properly): Synaptics touchpad driver and the ATI Destop component. I don't know any other touch pad drivers so any help on that would be great. And i dont even know what the desktop component but i would like help on what that is also. And i am planning on installing Vista on a partition and i dont know if any of that will matter, so if i install it on a clean partition will i need to use the driver cd my XP came with or does it have its own drivers. The only other things i need to know is how to make a partition and how to delete it and combine the empty space with the bigger partition.. I have a 80 GB HD and i wanna make a 25 gb partition for Vista. Any help on this would be great.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Ok so i have an 80 GB HD. Its a laptop. I've run the Vista Upgrade Advisor and says the only holding me back is a few drivers and some other programs. Here are the only things im worried about uninstalling(it doesn't say i have to just that it might not function properly): Synaptics touchpad driver and the ATI Destop component. I don't know any other touch pad drivers so any help on that would be great. And i dont even know what the desktop component but i would like help on what that is also. And i am planning on installing Vista on a partition and i dont know if any of that will matter, so if i install it on a clean partition will i need to use the driver cd my XP came with or does it have its own drivers.

Installing on a clean partition means none of this applies with great meaning to you. Install Vista anyway and see if it works, if not go back to XP.

The only other things i need to know is how to make a partition and how to delete it and combine the empty space with the bigger partition.. I have a 80 GB HD and i wanna make a 25 gb partition for Vista. Any help on this would be great.

Are you saying that you have an 80GB partition with XP and you want to split this partition up to create room for vista?

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I have an 80 GB hd with XP on it. I have about 45 GB of free space left. So i plan on making a 25 gb partition to put Vista on. All i need to know is how to make a partition

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well If you have free space on your hard drive just boot from the Vista DVD and then follow the setup instructions and when it asks you to choose a drive click show drive options and then just create a new drive of the size you want.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
It greys out the add a new drive for some reason. Does anyone know a free program that i can use to make a partition.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check this will let you partition existing installs, if so, install it when you have the license key

http://www.geekstogo...06-t130423.html

What was the problem with downloading RC1

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I gave up and then tried it on my brothers comp and it worked.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:whistling:

All's well that ends well

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Thank u now i just need to partition it. Can someone tell me how to do that because i dont rele get how to do it. I have 46.5 GB left on my hard drive and i want a 25 gb partition for Vista. I have one partition currently. Do i have to resize it then create a apartition. Can someone give me a tutorial or just explain it to me completely

Edited by Drumbum667, 20 September 2006 - 05:31 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may want to try out gparted (the live cd version)

http://www.geekstogo...a...=9&t=130440

give that a read as i've given the steps there...the only reason i suggest this route instead of paragon..is that i don't know how to use paragon...but the steps shown in the above thread..i do know work

what you're wanting to do...is dl the gparted live cd iso image (post #9)
then once you burn that image as an ISO image (post #11)
then you boot to the cd and follow the steps for resizing a partition (post #7)
once you resize the C partition..you can create a new partition in the blank space...either with gparted or during the vista install