Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game Error

• Please log in to reply

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I installed Oregon Trail 5 recently (good old memories) and it installs okay, but once I try running the game, it automatically brings up the Error Reporting prompt and says that the program had an error, the module being Binkw32.dll.

I have all of the requirements of the game, Windows XP, latest directx, new sabrent soundcard just installed this afternoon..Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Does the game actually say that it supports Windows XP? If not, you probably need to run the game in compatibility mode.

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
It says it's compatible with Windows XP and I have tried compatible mode aswell..I don't know what kind of issues the game could be having :whistling:

edit**

Problem resolved..It was a graphics card issue with NVIDIA's latest drivers. The only thing a driver rollback couldn't fix was the fact that I drowned after about 1200 miles of game :/

Edited by imafool4u, 19 September 2006 - 05:24 PM.

aaron32837

aaron32837

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the post. How do you go about rolling back the NVIDIA drivers to fix the issue?

altid

altid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes. how do you roll back the drivers. I've got my game to play using advice from another forum, but I can't fish, talk to people, or visit towns along the way. And I love fishing. I'm quite pissed.

Edited by altid, 31 January 2007 - 02:21 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi,

The binkw32.dll file is part of the Bink video player. A lot of games use Bink for cutscenes.

Download the latest version and install it to see if that helps.

http://www.radgameto...com/bnkdown.htm

If that doesn't help uninstall your existing Nvidia drivers and install the 84.21 drivers.

http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_84.21.html

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Help. Im having the same problem. Except I don't have a NVidia card.. I use a ATI X1300 Radeon Card.. and nothing happens when i roll back. Ive been experimenting with everything. Downloading RADtools, replacing the binkw32.dll with newer versions, deleteing the ones in system32 and replacing it and all that junk. I still can't get it work ARGH! does anyone have any ideas?