Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Minor PC upgrade

• Please log in to reply

GravyTrain

GravyTrain

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello. o/

Im considering upgrading my current PC. Im going to mostly use this PC for gaming and I want to keep up with the newer games. I'm not a noob with software and aps, I just cant understand hardwar and system building. ;o

My current specs:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.41 GHz
1024MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
180GB hardrive
400W PSU

I can provide more info if needed.

Im considering buying a X800GTO and definitely planning on buying a second hard drive.

Would a new graphics card be worth the preformance? Around how well will my FPS be? :whistling:

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I use a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT and have no problem playing new games. To test your computer to see how it benchmarks against other hardware use SiSoftware Sandra.

I do not think going with a new card would be the best performance upgrade.
I would probably buy more ram because the card should already be able to play every new game with no problems.

My Setup:
Intel Pentium 4 w/HT -- 3.2E Ghz >>prolly not the best processor for gaming, but it does pretty good.
1024MB Ram >>I need more, but i'm not rich :whistling:
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT >>Awesome card plays every game on high settings
550W PSU >>Runs all the lights :blink: :help:
160GB >>system harddrive
200GB >>game harddrive
250GB >>movie harddrive
300GB >>backup harddrive
Windows XP PRO w/SP2

That's my system works awesome, built it myself.
If you need any help figuring out hardware and system building I can help you with almost anything.

:rofl: :) :rofl: :lol:

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 19 September 2006 - 09:47 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x800GTO is about the same maybe a little slower than the 6800(depnding on model of 6800) but certainly not worth getting as its more of a sidestep, an x1800gto would be an upgrade but x800 is on par with the 6800.

New HD wise i would reccomend something like a 7200.10 im going to order a 250Gb one for myself soon.

GravyTrain

GravyTrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for replying. :whistling:
Something I left out of my original post is the memory on my video card is only 128.0 MB. Will this still be negligible?