Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP3 upgrade problems with AVG and S&D,etc.

• Please log in to reply

tricoven

tricoven

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey guys, after upgraded SP3 to my XP, there were a lot of problems.

The upgrade was successful, but now my AVG will not run and my S&D won't download any updates.

S&D:
Everytime I download an update there is an alert box popping up "Cannot open AVI"

AVG:
The error is always like:

Code Value = 80004002
Code Meaning = No such interface supported
Description = no default language

I tried Add/Remove Programs, it didn't work since AVG also said Installation failed.
Also, I tried to use Killerbox on it, but after reboot, the folder is still there and AVG is still running but on that kind of error during loading up.

Also, the upgrade made my Quicktime corrupted, but I can just reinstall it, I solved that problem. And my ATI video card won't work also, I think I have to reinstall the driver.

Please help me, thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had so many problems with computers trying to install SP2 after other software was already installed that i now install SP2 before any other software. I have had to reformat and reinstall XP 5 times because of this problem.

SRX660

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tricoven...

To my knowledge, there is no SP3 for XP...only for Windows 2000. Are you sure you aren't referring to SP2?

wannabe1

tricoven

tricoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yup, a friend of mine referred it to me actually. His os is doing fine, but when I tried it to mine, some programs went nuts including my video card control center. I really am on the verge of reformatting everything, but I want to save the trouble of backupping and installing again, so I have to find help first.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
SP3 isn't actually a Service Pack and is just a bunch of updates for XP packed into 1 package.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no (official) Service Pack 3.

Therefore, by installing said Service Pack, the original poster has created what's called a hybrid setup where the programs in question won't work, but there's no support from Grisoft and the makers of Spybot, because their programs are not designed for this environment.

The simplest solution would be to uninstall "Service Pack 3" and get back to a supported setup.