Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repaired Windows XP home not genuine

• Please log in to reply

Gyorys

Gyorys

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks to everyone who helped me get to this point but now I have another problem.

I repaired my XP with the original XP Home CD that was sent with my Dell 8200 but now everytime I boot up I get the message that I do not have a genuine copy of XP.

After I repaired my XP the first time I booted up it asked me to register my XP, I did not because I do not know what the product code is for XP and it was not on the packaging on the disk.

The system is running slow and I cannot do any updating until I resolve this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Gyorys...

Look for a sticker on the back of the machine (desktop) or on the bottom (laptop). About the size of an address label with a 25 character alpha-numeric product key. That would be the key code for the installed operating system.

wannabe1

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Gyorys
:help: welcome to GTG you should have a badge on the side of your machine I also had a a similar problem with windows do you have message on the bottom right hand corner of your screen not genuine windows. you should have re-registered you genuine windows xp do you have a timer to activate windows. . Thank you

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 19 September 2006 - 07:01 AM.

Gyorys

Gyorys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
cheyenne 09

Yes I do have the message on the bottom right hand corner of your screen not genuine windows.

Yes I do have a timer to activate windows.

To explain what happened:
My PC shut off unexpectedly, not because of a loss of power but the system itself shut off. When I went to turn the PC back on it came up to a DOS window with the message that the file \windows\system32\config\system is either missing or corrupt. What I did then was to reinstall XP which I knew was going to make me re-install my software and update Windows to the current service packs and hotfixes. But I did not expect to get this error message.

I also noticed that it is running very slow. When I go into Windows Explorer it takes forever to show the directories and files. Also when I try to do a chkdsk at boot up it tells me that disk check cannot be performed because exclusive access to the drive could not be obtained.

Thanks!! :whistling:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Gyorys
:help: I had to reactivate windows as well and if it's telling you it's not a geniune copy of windows your going you have to phone them to to reactivate it and explain to them that you repaired windows as you had a problem with it and they will help activate it again. I am not a tech but wannabe1 is one of the best so do what he advises as he'll do what he can to get you sorted. good luck

:whistling: Cheyenne09 :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try running the validation wizard...

Open "My Documents" and click on "Help" on the toolbar. Choose "Is this copy of Windows legal?". In the window that opens, run the Validation Wizard (option 1) and let us know what the result is.

Gyorys

Gyorys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. It worked. The only problem I had MS expected me to answer a 4 part true or false questions about the label that was on my PC. 2 out of the 4 I thought were false which would have made my copy of XP not genuine. I answered all 4 questions a true and I know have a valid copy on my PC.

Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :whistling: