Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-Writer not reading certain disks

• Please log in to reply

jimmie123

jimmie123

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have an Artec WRR-52x CD-Writer. I've checked with Driver Guide, I have the latest drivers available for it. It will play and burn CD-R disks fine, however, will not play/burn CD-RW disks. I've checked the properties etc. and it's set up to recognise both types of disks. The CD-RW disks I'm working with are Memorex CD-RW, 4X...didn't know if this could be an issue. I also use Nero 6 Ultima, and just installed the 2 major updates that were available thinking that that could be the issue, it wasn't. Since I'm a professional musician, I do a considerable amount of burning, and would like to able to burn with the CD-RW's since I can add tracks at a later time rather than having to assemble an entire playlist at one go. Any help will be appreciated. BTW - my operating system is Win 98 SE :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try another make of disc

Look for a drive firmware update, though only use the correct one as they are irreversible

Burn them as multi session so you can add tracks, though they will only play on a PC until you finalise them

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Let me clarify(?) the situation......Recently, a friend sent me some audio files on a CD-RW disk. The CD-Writer read it fine, and copied the files. The CD-RW disk was a Memorex 700 MB, 80 minute, 4X CD-RW disk. The only difference between that CD disk and the ones I'm using is that the one he sent had a CD-RW Music tag on it Can the differences between the 2 be that finite?? Or (perhaps) have I got some "bad" CD-RW disks? Nero Ultima 6 has a pretty sophisticated system.....if I configure it, it displays that both CD-R's and CD-RW's are compliant with the system,as well as displaying all the drivers etc. However, if I insert a blank CD-RW, the player makes some noise attempting to access the disk then ultimately displays a very fast "blink" (the light at the front of the player) indicating that it can't access it. If I place a blank CD-R in the player, it responds fine. This one has got me stumped. :whistling: