Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running much slower..

• Please log in to reply

jda

jda

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm running on 504 MB of RAM, cable modem, and a few gigs are free on my HD. In the past few days I've noticed my computer running a little slower than usual, but now it's just gotten so bad I can't open any programs, I can hardly get IE to run properly enough to post this. My computer freezes 5 to 10 minutes after I log on, and making a new user name doesn't seem to work.. I have to end task on explorer.exe to fix this problem. I've restored my computer to previous dates, nothing seems to work.. Help me, please!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install the trial and then run disc clean up then reg clean up then run optimize reg defrag. Defrag the drive from system tools, offload any programmes you do not use, save files like docs and music files to CDR/W

[/URL=http://www.tune-up.com]TuneUp 2004 Trial[/URL]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Here is the link

Tune Up Link

jda

jda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't understand what you're trying to tell me. Sorry.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If your hard drive space is used up percentage wise then it will take your PC longer to find everything so removing programmes you do not use will help. If you have had the PC for a while then you may have left over bits from uninstalls which the PC has to check, so with the tune up trial you can remove all these, also, if the drive is fragmented then the PC will take longer to find everything, defragmenting the drive will stick files in order so the PC can find them easily.

If you do these steps and the PC is still slow then you can start to look at other reasons. If you need help with running Tune Up them I'm around for a while

jda

jda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've had the PC for 5 months. I wiped the HD two weeks ago. I hardly have any programs, so I don't think uninstalling them would help.. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do not have any unused programmes fine

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Your hardrive may be freezing because it is overheating.

Open up your hard drive (turn off the power first) then get a cloth and look for dust especially around the cooling fan blades and wipe it all off.

jda

jda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Didn't work..

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
win xp has the disk clean up and the defrag, look for them under the system tools folder.

Advertisements

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
CTR-+ALT+Delete then go to processes and see whats taking up so much speed......

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Download free trials of Trojan Hunter and Spy Sweeper, update and run them. These are among the best out there.....

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
For get about those, I recommend AsAware and spybot(Can be downloaded at www.geekstogo.com )for spyware and adaware, for antivirus I recommend AVG(www.gridsoft.com )

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Anyone who works in this field knows that Adaware, Spybot and AVG are now average. Get the best Jda.....

ghc

ghc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Spyware has seemed to have gotten to an all time high recently. There are good programs out there to get rid of the spyware like A-Aware SE and Spybot-Search and Destroy. These programs have been able to get most if not all of the spyware up until a couple of weeks ago. The newest spyware that has come out is pretty nasty stuff. Microsoft has come out with a beta version of spyware checking which can be picked up for free at download.com. This is what I have been using on our network and it has been working extremely well.

:tazz: