Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No internet

• Please log in to reply

crysi1

crysi1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
:whistling: Time line of events leading to problem with my WindowsXP SP2
Microsoft automatic updates downloaded successfully
Malicious Software Removal Tool Sept.06 890830
Windows updates KB920872, KB922582
Security updates KB919007, KB920685
During this download time I was browsing the internet and Microsoft's Windows Defender detected some Adware, NewDot net and WhenUsave. Later during a full scan it reported Exploit:Win32/Wmfap. All was deleted by Windows Defender. Computer was rebooted.
Message came up from Symantec Antivirus that comes with my Netzero ISP: Symantec email proxy can not scan email messages because your network is not properly configured
I tried to connect to my Netzero ISP and just after it logged me in it gave me the error message 500 internal authentication error. I could not connect with the server even after following each of their troubleshooters.
I went to my system event viewer and the following were logged:
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID 7023
Type :error
Discription: Automatic updates service terminated with the following error, The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized.
Source: Server
Event ID: 2504
Type:warning
Discr. This server could not bind to the transport device\NetBt_Tcpip_
I have scanned the PC for viruses and ran tune up utilities. Systm restore did not work.
I have emailed Netzero tech support and waiting for a reply but I am not sure it's their software. Any advice to get back online would surely be appreciated.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,676 posts
Hi crysi1,

I think the fastest way to resolve this is to re-install NAV/NIS
That will reset the values for the proxy to how they were before.
My guess is Windows Defender changed something back to default, which should have been set to match Norton's expectations.

Keep us posted.

Regards,

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I successfully uninstalled and reinstalled Norton and Netzero but still 3 seconds after Netzero says I'm logged in the connection is gone. I have checked my Windows firewall settings as well and made exceptions for the files that Netzero needs. I have checked for virus's and such and ran Tune up.
I am using a very old Pc at the moment to post here and unable to transfer files to this forum so anything else I should try? Do you think it's possible it could be the microsoft updates?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,676 posts
I'll have to guess. :whistling:

From the Internet Explorer menu bar, click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the Connections tab.
Click LAN Settings button.
Click Advanced button. The Proxy Settings dialog box appears.

If there is a checkmark in the "Use Proxy" box, click advanced and post what it reads there for http

Then go back and uncheck that box.
Then reboot and try again.

Regards,

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No boxes are checked under LAN settings...

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,676 posts
Is that computer networked?

If it is, put a checkmark in the "Use Proxy" Box and under http fill out the IP address of the computer/router that makes the connection and in the last field try both 80 and 8080

If the computer makes it's own direct connection fill in 127.0.0.1 as the IP and also try both options.

Let me know which one works (if any).

Regards,

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
This PC is not networked and has only used a dialup connection.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi crysi1,

Have you tried recreating the connection?

un-install and re-insatll the netzero software.

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes I have un/reinstalled NetZero twice...for the heck of it I even tried loading another internet provider People PC and the same error occurred. Logs in but stops after 3 seconds and dials the number again and repeats....
I checked the microsoft updates in the add/remove programs just to see what programs would be affected should I try to remove them and it said that Netzero would be affected as well as the other updates I received that day. Could it be bad updates?
This is frustrating I've been over everything I could think of. Is there anything I can look for under Windows defender that would be a red flag?

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I think I have it figured out, refer to my original post.
Found this:
If you find New.net on your system, remove it by simply going to Add or Remove Programs and uninstalling it. Full step-by-step instructions can be found at New.net's FAQ. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MANUALLY REMOVE IT. The dll makes changes to Winsock, and removing it will result in the loss of network and Internet access. However, if you have reached that point already and want to fix Winsock, here's how to do it:

- Download and run LSPFix.exe from cexx.org
- Download and run WinsockXPFix.exe from Spychecker.com
(If you're still using Windows 95, 98, or ME - download and run winsock2fix.)

LSP-Fix will repair damaged LSP chains in Winsock. LSP stands for Layered Service Provider and is inserted into the Windows TCP/IP stacks. WinsockXPFix will repair the remainder of Winsock.

For more detailed information about New.Net, visit:

SpywareGuide - New.Net

Cexx.org - Foistware: New Net, Inc. DLL

Although I didn't remove it and Windows Defender did something obviously went wrong. I'll try this and post back in a couple days.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,676 posts
:whistling:

You are so right.
I would have spotted that in below 2 seconds if you had posted that in the malware forums.
My mistake.

How to use LSPfix (winsockfix is too indiscriminate)
Download LSPfix here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Launch the application, and click the "I know what I'm doing" checkbox.
Check all instances of newdotnet.dll (and nothing else), and move them to the "Remove" pane.
Then click Finish.

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I didn't think it was malware at first since Windows Defender removed it. Anyhow I had a friend download the fix to a cd and after just a few minutes I was up and running like new. I wonder though what happens the next time Windows defender asks me to remove some high alert item I'm not familiar with. It might be better to look up the item online before I say yes or try another spyware removal program.
Thanks everybody for your help :whistling:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,676 posts
Technically speaking Windows Defender was right.
It jsut didn't do a very good job at removing the items from your LSP stack.
They never should have broken the chain.

I'll nag to them about it. :whistling:

Glad to see you up and running again.