Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard Shortcut Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Recently, my laptop has been behaving very strangely. I will be typing, and then it switches into what I've called "shortcut mode". For example, evertime I type the letter "e", Windows Explorer launches. If I type the letter "L", the screen locks, etc. Any ideas on how I can stop this from happening?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Perhaps one of the 'Windows' keys is stuck, since this is what you have to press to activate the standard shortcuts together with a letter key. The 'Windows' key has the classic Windows logo on it and usually there are two, one each side of the spacebar on the bottom row.

try jabbing them a few times which may free them up.

Edited by pip22, 19 September 2006 - 12:30 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tyler5690...

There can be many causes for this...some are machine specific. What is the make and model number of your laptop?

usually there are two, one each side of the spacebar on the bottom row

Actually, the one on the right of the spacebar is usually the "Application" key and will bring up the context (right click) menu.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 September 2006 - 12:33 PM.

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
It is an HP Pavilion DV5000t. Its only about two months old, and the Windows key is not stuck when this happens. I have tried to tapping it several times when it gets in this mode, and it doesn't seem to help.