Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

disk acess: sense operation failed

• Please log in to reply

TheOne

TheOne

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi my friend said his pc crashed. He tried to reformat it using the system recovery cd's his comp came with but it doesnt work. When his pc is turned on there is a error message stating something about an error with the operating system during the black boot-up screen.

So we insert the system recov. cd. The p.c. starts up and prompts us if we want to delete everything on the hard drives and partition them as well as restore them to thier factory defaults. We accept and the on screen prompts until the process begins. After about 30 seconds into it the operation fails with this error ''Disk access: sense operation failed'' then it follows with something like ''your computer may not function properly''.

I'll describe the screen

VAIO System Recovery Utility
Recovery
Implenting Recovery

Factory Default Settings Recovery

Factory Process is:

*Partioning - completeted
*Restore Drive C - error CD #1
*Restore Drive D -
*Finalizing Process -

I really dont know what to do or how to help. Its a SONY VAIO and he says its about seven years old. If anyone can help we'd really appreciate it.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It sounds like there could be a problem with the hard drive. If you know the make of the disk, I would suggest getting the diagnostic program from the maker of the disk and test it. You should be able to determine the disk by going into the setup menu and looking at the IDE devices.

You may need to replace the disk.