Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Looooooong boot time

• Please log in to reply

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
working on a friends computer

works fine when windows finally boots up

problem is, it gets stuck on the windows 98 screen (with the windows icon and the clouds) for several minutes, no win 98 disc available otherwise i would just reinstall

msconfig looks good ive cleared out most of the garbage

any other ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You don't say whether it's a new problem or whether it's always been slow to boot. If it's always been that way then it could simply be lacking a healthy amount of RAM -- I wouldn't want to run Windows 98 on less than 128MB. Even though the bare minimum is 32MB that will only allow Windows to crawl along at a frustratingly slow pace, and doesn't leave any free RAM to run applications.

deathninja

deathninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
sorry, yes its a new problem, and the system has 128 megs of ram

again, the system performs well once the "windows logo" screen disappears....the items in the system tray at boot are very minimal, and appear quickly once it gets to that point

when i say a long time, i should state that it may take upwards of 10 minutes or more

it does it everytime...going to safe mode is quicker but it too take a long time

im thinking a bios update? or the cmos needs cleared? or a hardware conflict, but its a laptop so the hardware is fairly static

Edited by deathninja, 19 September 2006 - 03:28 PM.

deathninja

deathninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Well, I solved the problem.

Believe it or not it was a keyboard error, one of the keys was "stuck" (not physically, but it was for some reason continuing to register). I removed the ribbon from the bottom of the keyboard and the mobo.

Booted right up with no lag.

Now to find a replacement :whistling:

In the meantime he will use an external keyboard.