Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus.Jeefo.. Need help! :(

• Please log in to reply

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have a compaq presario, there's a sticker on the top of my tower it says compaq presario 6029US is this the model number?

I just spoke to the person who did this to my computer... He told me that I can't get rid of sub7 w/ a format and it is hidden in another partition (NTSC).. This is greek to me, I didn't know computers had different partitions.. Maybe he is lying to me to so I won't format my computer, who knows but I'm sure you all will know

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's just see if we can do this...it would sure make this a simple operation.

With your machine running, click Start, point to All Programs, and look for something like Compaq Tools or PC Help & Tools. Do you see anything like that?

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Let's just see if we can do this...it would sure make this a simple operation.

With your machine running, click Start, point to All Programs, and look for something like Compaq Tools or PC Help & Tools. Do you see anything like that?

I'm sorry I don't see that :whistling:

I see PCFriendly though

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about one that just says "Compaq"?

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

How about one that just says "Compaq"?

Yeah, I have that

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What are your options when you point to or click that?

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
-Compaq Options
-Compaq Registration
-Compaq Service

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Will you be able to communicate with me while we do this?

If your machine has a recovery partition, this will start it. If it starts you will need to tell it to do a Destructive Recovery.

Restart and tap the F10 key repeatedly during the boot...

Click "Advanced", when given the option, and choose "Destructive Recovery". Follow the prompts to format and reinstall Windows. This will take quite a long time to complete...don't disturb it.

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Okay, I'm nervous b/c I need my computer for school

So, I go to Compaq Options? This will automatically start recovery partition? Then I do everything else you just said?

And this will format and reinstall everything for me w/o the windows xp cd?

Sorry so many questions, but will this be done by midnight atleast?

"Will you be able to communicate with me while we do this?"
I do have AIM on my phone, if that's what you mean

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You won't need the "Options" menu.

What the destructive recovery does is to restore your machine back to the way it was the day it was shipped from the factory. Other than telling it to start the destructive recovery and responding to a couple of prompts asking if you are sure you want to do this, it's pretty much automatic.

From HP/Compaq: "CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.

From HP/Compaq: NOTE: It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over several hours. Recovery times are most affected by using recovery discs that were ordered from HP and/or the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (for example, My Documents and the Desktop). <----you won't have to wait on these additional folders.

You'll want to get malware protection on the machine ASAP once this completes...I'm sure rmurphy will have some recommendations for you in this regard.

Did you run the Everst on your machine? It would be nice to have that information in case we need to update some drivers...some hardware may be different now than when it was built.

To run this recovery from the recovery partition:
  • Power the machine OFF
  • Power the machine ON
  • Tap the F10 key repeatedly during the boot...System Recovery should start.
  • When given the option, click Advanced
  • Choose Destructive Recovery
  • Affirm you want to do the recovery
  • Let it do it's thing

Advertisements

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Here is the Everest report:

Thanks for all your help, but I have to wait til tomorrow or the next day to do this because I have to get all my school papers/hws/assignments, etc off of this computer and I have to write a paper tomorrow night and I won't be able to print it if I format today. I have no idea where my printer cds are, how am I supposed to install it again? :whistling:

omg i'm so stressed

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No need to stress...we don't even know that it's going to start. :blink: I'm betting it does, though...the alternative is to wait for recovery cd's from compaq.

Save the documents you want to keep to a cd if possible, so that you can scan them with an Anti Virus program and other malware scanners before you put them back on your machine.

If you need an Office program, look into Open Office...it works with MS Office documents and is a free download.

With the make and model of your printer, we can get the software and drivers online... :whistling:

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

No need to stress...we don't even know that it's going to start. :blink: I'm betting it does, though...the alternative is to wait for recovery cd's from compaq.

Save the documents you want to keep to a cd if possible, so that you can scan them with an Anti Virus program and other malware scanners before you put them back on your machine.

If you need an Office program, look into Open Office...it works with MS Office documents and is a free download.

With the make and model of your printer, we can get the software and drivers online... :whistling:

Thanks

What I'm going to do now is copy my documents to a cd if I have one or a floppy disk.. Then follow your directions

But will this fix the sub7 he said was in another partition? He said it was hidden in NTSC and formatting won't get rid of it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In looking at the Everest report, the only missing drive space is allocated to 1 hidden partition which happens to be just about precisely the size of a standard recovery partition. There is a lot of used space in the C: partition, but all the space is accounted for so formatting will clear it. I see no evidence of any other partitions, hidden or otherwise, on the drive.

In reading up on sub7, it looks like it will have to be installed to the root directory (C:) to work it's dirty deeds...so if it's on the machine at all, the format will get it.

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

In looking at the Everest report, the only missing drive space is allocated to 1 hidden partition which happens to be just about precisely the size of a standard recovery partition. There is a lot of used space in the C: partition, but all the space is accounted for so formatting will clear it. I see no evidence of any other partitions, hidden or otherwise, on the drive.

In reading up on sub7, it looks like it will have to be installed to the root directory (C:) to work it's dirty deeds...so if it's on the machine at all, the format will get it.

So you think he may just be bluffing?

Thanks so much!