Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sites are blocked! Help Please

• Please log in to reply

s_c

s_c

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello, my boyfriend did something to my computer where I cannot log into myspace (sounds stupid I know).. But I can bypass it by using proxymy.com.. But that's so inconvenient. I just want my internet back to normal.. how do i fix this? Thanks for your time

Advertisements

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
What browser are you using, and what kind of firewall (if any) do you have on your computer? Those two bits may be important to know.

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

What browser are you using, and what kind of firewall (if any) do you have on your computer? Those two bits may be important to know.

Hi, thanks for replying. I have EZ firewall and Windows firewall.. I mainly use mozilla, but sometimes Internet explorer too.

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
First thing I would do is check EZ Firewall's settings to be sure you aren't blocking MySpace somehow. Go into EZ and click on Privacy, then click on Site List. Scroll down the list to see if MySpace is on there. If it is, then try allowing the cookies, images, etc. and see if it will let you in. If it isn't on the list then add it to the list and allow it. Post again and let me know if anything changed.

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

First thing I would do is check EZ Firewall's settings to be sure you aren't blocking MySpace somehow. Go into EZ and click on Privacy, then click on Site List. Scroll down the list to see if MySpace is on there. If it is, then try allowing the cookies, images, etc. and see if it will let you in. If it isn't on the list then add it to the list and allow it. Post again and let me know if anything changed.

I just tried that and it still doesn't work :whistling:

Is there a way someone could have blocked the proxy? (I really don't know what that is) but I can go to myspace.com but it wont let me log in, but if i use proxymy.com it will let me log in.

Thanks for helping.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
What happens exactly when you try to log on? Can you even get to mySpace, or can you just not log in?

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

What happens exactly when you try to log on? Can you even get to mySpace, or can you just not log in?

Once I try to log in it says:

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at login.myspace.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

But if I go thru proxymy.com it doesn't do that.. I know my bf did something, I just don't know exactly what and he wont tell me how to fix it :whistling:

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Well, lets check a few things.

Do you have any extensions installed? If so, what?

Let's also look at yout hosts file. Attach the file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to your next post.

Once I get that I'll check to see if he changed that, and depending on your extnesions we might be able to see what he did there.

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Well, lets check a few things.

Do you have any extensions installed? If so, what?

Let's also look at yout hosts file. Attach the file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to your next post.

Once I get that I'll check to see if he changed that, and depending on your extnesions we might be able to see what he did there.

I don't know what extensions are :whistling: I'm sorry

I opened that hosts file with microsoft word this is what showed up:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 fileforum.betanews.com
127.0.0.1 support.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.softpedia.com
127.0.0.1 www.updatexp.com
127.0.0.1 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 www.softwarepatch.com
127.0.0.1 i2.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 i3.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.eonline.com
127.0.0.1 c.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.microsoft.comsecuritymalwareremovedefault.mspx
127.0.0.1 spe.admit.com
127.0.0.1 data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 i.microsft.com
127.0.0.1 global.msads.net
127.0.0.1 m.webtrends.com
127.0.0.1 view.atdmt.com
127.0.0.1 download.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 g.www.ns.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 toggle.www.ms.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 search.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 c1.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 support.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 go.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 js.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 css.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 login.oscar.aol.com
127.0.0.1 login.myspace.com
127.0.0.1 search.myspace.com

Is this right? Or was I supposed to do something else? Thanks so much for helping

Edited by s_c, 20 September 2006 - 09:21 PM.

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com102615970
127.0.0.1 login.myspace.com
127.0.0.1 search.myspace.com

There's the culprit. Open your hosts file in notepad and remove those three entries and save it. Then clear your cache and close all of your browser windows (you can also go into DOS by typing "cmd" in the Run box and then use the "ipconfig/flushdns" command if you need to). Open up Firefox again and try loging into MySpace without using proxymy.com. Let me know if that fixes it.

(Edited some typos...it's late, heh)

Edited by ThPenguinsRComin, 20 September 2006 - 09:18 PM.

Advertisements

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I just did that and it still doesn't work :whistling:

And I remember when he visted I saw where the run command or w/e it is called was on my start menu.. So he mustve done something

I asked him about it and he denies he did anything (i know he did tho) but said something about getting a recovery tool to fix windows but it confused me more

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
That's really strange. I tried the same thing on my computer and it fixed right up. Is there any way I can get a hold of you via IM? Maybe I can help walk you through it. It -should- work.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Hi. Please go to this site: http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm and follow the instructions for copying their hosts file. It will protect you from malicious/untrustoworthy sites, and should fix your problem at the same time.

-Ryan

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi. Please go to this site: http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm and follow the instructions for copying their hosts file. It will protect you from malicious/untrustoworthy sites, and should fix your problem at the same time.

-Ryan

Hey thanks... What part of the site tells me how to copy their host file.. I'm sorry I know I'm making it hard for you all to help me it's just I dont know a lot about computers

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Where it says Download is a link. Download that, then extract the files. Run the batch file (has a gear in the icon). You should be all set.

-Ryan