Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer gizzards resemble a dustbin - how do I clean?

• Please log in to reply

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I took a look at the inside of my computer the other day and to my horror, discovered layer upon layer of dust. I have a little computer vacuum, but am hesitant to use it unless I'm absolutely sure of what I'm doing. I've also heard compressed air is a good thing to use, but I don't want to brainlessly muck around and end up doing dire, dastardly (not to mention dusty) deeds that I have no way of undoing. So I'm open to any and all spring cleaning advice.... Thanks! :whistling:

Laurie

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I very regularly open my PC and clean it using a vacuum, and have done no damage to it.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to walmart or staples and buy a can of dust buster and blast the dust right out of it but hold the fans cause they will spin to fast hold can upside down dont worry about the white stuff you see they will go away

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I suggest using both, the right hand uses the dust blower near the mother board, fans, etc and the vaccum hover while doing it in your left hand, except when you stop the fan from overspinning as explained.

Edited by fleamailman, 19 September 2006 - 03:13 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's generally ill advised to put a vacuum nozzle inside of your computer...things COULD happen (granted..a lot of times they don't) flea's suggestion seems the best...sort of like a flowbee (where did those infomercials go)...blow the air out of the case into the waiting arms of the vacuum cleaner...thereby limiting the dust in the air (and subsequently your nostrils)...not sure what an excelt is (someone who's been kicked out of ireland?) but deffinitely hold the fans down before blowing the air...otherwise you might burn out a bearing

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I suggest taking caution with canned air, especially if you have some sort of breathing disorder. I suggest using a vacuum, a lot simpler in my opinion, also is reusable.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Before you do ANYTHING, unplug the computer from the wall. Use a pencil to hold the fans. I wouldn't use a vaccuum cleaner (static) but compressed air works great. I use q tips moistened in alcohol (dries fast) on the fans and under the fans, especially the processor. My temps will generally fall 10 or 15 dgrees after a good cleaning, and I do it about every 6 weeks or so. (My house also has kids, dogs, and I smoke. YMMV) Do not "wipe" the motherboard with anything, ever. A friend of mine was using fabric softener sheets, and her mobo smelled good, but she had to replace it. If you really want to clean, mark (with a Sharpie pen) each cable and its port, undo all the connections, get some twist ties to get organized, and take the snarl of wires and cords apart. Then, have a look at the back of your monitor. Don't spray glass cleaner on the front, spray it on the cloth you will be using to clean it.

If you get bored and want to clean here, too, come on over. I'll put on some coffee and you can have at it. ;-)
Johanna

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks millions, everyone, for the wonderful input!

Laurie :whistling: