Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HTPC, Gaming rig and Wifes PC

• Please log in to reply

snuffy47

snuffy47

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All

I have a dream but donnt known the best way to go about it

I currently have 2 PC's
Mine which I primaryly use for gaming
Chaintech APOGEE
2 Gig 400Mhz Kingston RAM
2600MHZ AMD Athlon CPU
ATI 9800 Pro Video card
SB Live 5.1 sound card
Ultra Xfinity 500 Watt PSU

Better Halfs comp used for websurfing and pogo games
ASUS A7N8X
1800 AMD Athlon CPU
512MB 333MHZ Ram
Nivida Geforce 3 Ti 128 mb Video Card
400 watt PSU

I also have on hand
2000Mhz AMD Athlon CPU
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe MOBO
350 watt PSU
Geforce 2 64mb pro Nivida video card

The idea is to build myself a new gaming rig, but I also want to build a HTPC.

What are the suggestions I would like to keep it down to 2 pcs. Is this possible?

If not what would the best setup be?

Advertisements

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
The latest MaximumPC has a big article on building HTPC's. You might find that helpful. I've read lots of online articles but thought the MaxPC article was very helpful.

snuffy47

snuffy47

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I recieve the Maxium PC mag at home and did see this artical.

What I was looking for is suggestions if any on how to use some existing hardware for the HPTC and suggestions on a new build for my gaming rigg

Wifes comp is no problem

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Personally i would wait a while and build a Conroe gaming rig that would double as the htpc. Give the wife the athlon 2600 as it is very dated now and sell off all the other computers as they are just taking up space.

Reality is setting in. From what i have been reading the conroe will make every new computer built right now obselete. When games and graphics cards are optimised for the conroe you will never even go back to a AMD4800. I have now seen and played with a conroe 2.13 system and it does seem quite fast so far. Seriously the conroe 2.13 played WOW better than a athlon 3400 that was right next to it. I wonder what the system would do with Vista on it as it had media center installed on it.

I'm selling off my last 2 computer builds( intel 3.2 systems) so i can get a conroe system as soon as possible.

SRX660