Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My brother and i sharing wireless connection. Too far?

• Please log in to reply

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey, i just bought my brother a Dell desktop and i figured we might be able to share my wireless connection and split the bill. Problem is my brothers house is a little over 120 ft away. His Dell is using a netgear 54mbps card with an external antenna. My access point is a netgear wgt624. When i use my laptop and walk to his house i keep a signal all the way until his deck and then i lose it. What can i do? Any ideas?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, you will need to probably purchase a range extender. Kind of like this: http://www.compusa.c..._Signal_Booster ... Doesn't have to be that expensive though. You really need another antenna so that you can get a better signal.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is it a good ariel he is using you can buy decent directional ones or make em out of pringles tubes.

coxmaster

coxmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
what ever you do PROTECT the network. If your gonna send it that far it needs to be well encrypted.

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Encyption wont be a problem, I will secure it and we live out in the sticks. His computer is using a netgear pci wireless adapter. What would be easiest, puting an antenna at my end out side my window off of the router or get an antenna and cable and run it off his end of the pci card? Or is it possible to run a cat5 that long? Thanks.

Edited by loydchristmas, 19 September 2006 - 05:21 PM.