Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using my pc as DVR

• Please log in to reply

makavelli911

makavelli911

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey whats up? im a newbie. i just want to turn my pc into a dvr to record my shows while im in class or doin hwk. has any1 every done this before? i have an ATI Radeon x550 video card. i want to do this in a way so that my pc isnt a full media center and i want to play back the shows on my tv from my pc. my main use for my pc is gaming and i want to keep it that way. any help or advice would b an asset to me right now.

thanx

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
You'll need a TV tuner card, along with some special software, GBPVR is what you probably need, I don't remember much about using your PC as a DVR, but I think that might be what you are looking for.

makavelli911

makavelli911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanx, thats starting me in the right direction, any1 have anything else 2 add? please lets c ur ideas

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am using one of these with great results. Soon i will stop using it as my cable company is offering a DVR deal that will let me connect my computer to the DVR by sata cable and record to my computer hard drive.

http://www.hauppauge...ata_pvr150.html

SRX660

makavelli911

makavelli911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
but are you running the media center OS? i just want 2 use xp

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I'm running XP home edition SP1.

SRX660

makavelli911

makavelli911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
so i really need the tv tuner, the software and probably a 2nd hard drive?