Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Broken icons

• Please log in to reply

submin

submin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. I’m having a serious problem with my computer running XP Pro. It seems all of the icons are broken. Including everything in Control Panel. Icons are replaced with a strange file icon. When clicked, I get a dialog box stating “Windows cannot open this file: File name. To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.”

AV and mal-ware programs don’t seem to be working. Online AV scans are out because IE doesn’t work on any administrator accounts. MS update doesn’t work. I can’t install or remove programs. I really can’t do anything unless I know which file in a folder starts the program.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Doug

Advertisements