Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Portable USB hard drive not found

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Specs: running WinXP SP2 with all updates installed; AMD Athalon 3200, 1 gig of RAM, main hard drive is a 80 gig, then I have 2 backups installed (160 gig and a 30 gig).

I just purchased a Western Digital Passport Portable Hard Drive, 120 gig. Whenever I plug it into my computer's USB port, nothing happens. I've plugged other devices, inlcuding another External Hard Drive, into the same USB port, and they are found. I've also plugged the Portable hard drive into my laptop and my wife's computer, and it is found no problem.

When I plug it into my desktop, the light on the portable hard drive goes on, so I know it's getting power, but nothing pops up on my screen (no "USB device connection sound"), it's not listed under "My Computer", and it's not listed under "Disk Management."

Any help would be greatly appreicated...

mike.

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Go to here: Western Digital Download

This should get your drive to work.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I appreciate your quick response. Could you please be a little more specific? I was already at Western Digital's site, and they don't seem to have any downloads to solve my problem. The only driver i saw on their site was for Windows 98, and I'm running XP. The other downloads available seem to be if your hard drive is already recognized by Windows.

Can you point me a little closer in the right direction please? Which file are you referring to?

thanks,
mike.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello diggeryo...

Many new computers limit bus power. Your machine may not provide enough power to the USB ports to run the drive. There are power adapters available for Western Digital Portable drives just for this reason. Check with the retailer you purchased the drive from and see if they can fix you up with an adapter for your drive. In some cases, a powered USB hub will also work to resolve this issue.

wannabe1

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for the respons Wannabe. You know, I kind of suspected that was the reason because, but I didn't want to mentioned anything and bias someone's respons.

Any idea if the amount of power supplied is something that can be changed in BIOS? Or am I pretty much stuck trying the powered USB hub route if I don't want to use a power cord?

thanks,
mike.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll have to check the documentation for your motherboard to see if it provides you with a method for stepping up the bus voltage. Some higher end boards do have this ability.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I went under BIOS and even read through the manual, and there are settings for Voltage, but I'm not really sure what to change and what to change it to.

Anyone who has any experience dealing with this, I'd appreicate their input.

I have an ASUS motherboard A7V880. And, if possible, I am trying to increase the power to the USB ports so a portable hard drive will function without an exterior power supply.

Thanks for any advice,

mike.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll see if I can point some of our hardware experts here.

In the meantime, check THIS out.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, some of the cords between the usb external harddrive and comp are in fact slightly shorter than others, if you find one that is shorter you will have a little more power. For example I am using the cord for my 'multiple card reader' for my usb 40gb external harddrive as it works better. Just depends on what type of cord it is, standard or special to Western Digital.

Edited by fleamailman, 20 September 2006 - 11:43 AM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I appreciate the additional help. I'm eager to see if the hardware expert has any input.

As for the Multifunction panel you pointed me to...as cool as that would be to have that on my system, I don't think I have any room for it. Plus, I'm trying to find a more cost efficient solution. If i can just change a setting in BIOS, great! If not, then I think I'll just purchase a power adapter for the portable hard drive (though I was hoping to avoid that, since the main reason I bought this hard drive as opposed to all the others out there is that it said it didn't require a power cord).

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hey Fleaman!

I am using a 20 inch cord, the one that came with the hard drive. According to the operating manual, as long as you use a cord that is 20 inces or less, you won't have to use an external power source.

Do they even make cords less than 20 inches? If so, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

mike.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not sure if they do but if they write 'or less' we live in hope, what type of cord is it, of course USB one end but the other end is...

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
USB Type A goes into the computer, and USB Type B goes into the device.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I have a mini usb drive and I use a usb cable that has a double end on the computer side so if the computer I am on does not have enough power I plug the other connector in to another USB port

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Yes, I am super stupid, I see those cords everyday and forgot about them. They have one female end cord that goes into the device but seperates into two usb males, that would give you extra power too.

But we are back to the question I asked before because although all entry points male are usb size and shape the female end of the cord, can be normal, or minibus which is smaller.