Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Portable USB hard drive not found

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are some cards and hubs available HERE that will help in your situation. (Thanks for the link, SRX660) I can find nothing in the documentation for your mainboard that will allow adjustment of the bus voltage. Only CPU and RAM tweaks.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for all your help everyone. Just one more question...

Do you think installing a higher wattage power supply will give more power to the USB ports so the portable hard drive will run? Or is the amount of power getting to the USB ports strickly dependent upon the motherboard?

thanks,
mike.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
To answer my own question, I believe the answer is yes. I just installed a new power supply, and now the portable hard drive is being recogized by Windows without an external power supply to the hard drive.