Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Black Screen of death episode this weekend Help

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
We have a Dell Dimension 2400 PC, running XP Professional
Woke up to a storm Saturday night so we shut down the PC. We think it was downloading some sort of updates at the time, and we turned it off anyway.When we turned it off, the screen said, initializing 1 of 1 and then went to a window that said "do not turn off or unplug your computer during this process, it will shut down automatically."

Next morning the XP screen came up when we rebooted but it stayed that way, and just a black screen came up after.

Called a tech on the phone, tried to start computer in safe mode, using the last configuration when it worked correctly but none of this worked. So he had me reinstall XP professional from the cd. Did that and all came back fine, plus we did not lose any information.

Here's the problem: When we reboot now, it takes forever to re boot. almost 6 or 7 minutes. Every screen just 'hangs" and is so slow. Once the PC is running, it is ok, but the reboot process is murder.
Also, i just had extended my McAfee protection the night before all this happened and now i keep getting popups from McAfee saying that the registry has changed do I want to allow this?

any ideas on this? Would a hijack log help or something like that?

Please advise, thank you.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have had either a software corruption of a drivers or a hardware that has quit. This causes windows to keep trying to access the hardware many times until it finally gives up. I would look in event viewer to see if there is any problems there. If you go to start/run and type in msconfig you can go to the startup tab and disable programs ther one at a time while rebooting between each one. This may take a while but it will let you find out if you have a problem there. Let us know what happens to determine whats next.