Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Both my CD-ROMs stopped working

• Please log in to reply

kbmyers

kbmyers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm running Vista RC1 build 5600. Had the system running fairly well. Tried to install some CD-ROM software, after that both of my DVD writers wouldn't work. Systems sees them, but can't access any disks. If I boot the system with a disk in the drive I get a BSOD.

Had a similar problem once on XP so I followed the advise below to remove both the "upperfilters" and "lowerfilters" registry values:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314060

Removed the CD-ROM software, uninstalled the drivers for both drives, rebooted and let the system reinstall the drives. No luck. I've also got almost 40,000 "Event 11, cdrom" errors in the event viewer. I verified that both drives are at the latest firmware release. One drive is a Plextor PX-716-A (SATA drive) and the other is a Lite-On SHM-165H6S (ATA). Both drives worked under XP and initially under Vista (at least for two days), so I don't think I have faulty drives or cables.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Kent

Advertisements

KJR Seattle

KJR Seattle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Kent:
I had exact same symptons while installing DVD and capture software. The problem appears to be upper (and possibly lower) filters installed in the registry to allow direct hardware access to the drivers. As you might guess Vista deals with these things differently from XP. This solution worked for me, although I had about 20 reg entries to plow through:

http://www.geekstogo...a...=5&t=131797

Good luck.
KJR Seattle