Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to run winipcfg

• Please log in to reply

17osm17

17osm17

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hie. i wanted to run winipcfg to determine my ip. However, an error msg says "windows cannot find 'winipcfg'. make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.... "

I'm running Windows xp Home edition sp 2.

because i'm connected through my hostel server, i need to locate the ip i used to connect to other applications online. are there any ways to determine it? thanks.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
To find your I.P address open CMD and type 'ipconfig'.

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i tried that, but the ip is a router's ip. i need to noe the ip that i use to connect to my online games.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Not sure about this. 'winipcfg' was removed in XP and the only equivilant to it was 'wntipcfg' which was available for download from Microsoft, but it has been removed. Try searching Microsoft for this file.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ipconfig should show you what you want though, look at some options 'ipconfig /help'

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Are you looking for the router's physical IP or the WAN IP? The physical IP of the router should be the number listed as "Default Gateway" when you use ipconfig. To get your WAN IP you should be able to run the ping -r command with a count of 1. It should look like this (Route IP is made up):

C:\>ping -r 1 yahoo.com

Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=49
Route: 209.179.21.76

The "route" IP is your WAN IP, which is the public one that other computers would connect to. You could also go to a website like whatismyip.com to get it. Hope that works.

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i get request timeout when i tried ping -r 1 yahoo.com
i disabled norton internet worm and disabled auto protect while trying it.

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Then try going to whatismyip.com instead. The number it gives you should be your public IP, so anyone who needed to connect to you for a game would need that number.