Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running out of space on HD

• Please log in to reply

Mammal

Mammal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
G'Day please could you help me on this prob. I am unable to back up because i have insufficent free space on my drive C, I previously had Win98 and when I loaded XP I had both on my system, I deleted the Win file for Win98 but I think I must still have a lot of unnessary files somewhere.
I had a lot of problems when I added my storage drive as my motherboard wouldn't recognise anything bigger than 32Gig, I used an overlay from Seagate which fixed the problem,but I had to reload XP several times,I thought of wiping disc C and reloading clean but the last time when I tried to activate XP I got an error message that the program had been used too many times and couldn't be initiated again. Lucky I had a backup on my storage drive and so I loaded all the garbage back and now am at the start with nowhere to go. How can I clean up my Drive C or how can I get XP to be reactivated.
Thanks for caring

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points

When you get the activation message, click to activate by phone, they just ask if it is installed on any other machine and if no, activate it for you

Mammal

Mammal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Boy that was quick, Thanks again, I have run disc cleanup only 32KB, no restore points as not enough space on HD, Window takes up 72% of 4.5 Gig HD isn't that a lot.
Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Mine is 2.13 GB

See if this will let you resize now, or help you if you re-install

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=785339

Activating by phone is simple

Mammal

Mammal