Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

adserver.adtech.de / hosts file

• Please log in to reply

jammydodger1000

jammydodger1000

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all i was hoping somebody might be able to help me.
When i go to certain websites a username/password window pops up. The window is titled adserver.adtech.de and obviously asks for a username and password. If i click cancel a few times the window disappears and i am able to browse the website normally.
I have messed about with my computer a little to see what could be causing this. What i have found is when my hosts file only contains 127.0.0.1, i dont get the username/password window, but when i download the hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm i get the username/password window again.
So does this mean my computer is okay and the username/password window is being caused by the hosts file and nothing else? It would appear so to me but i am asking because i don't know of anyone else with a similar problem, surely other people would be getting the same problem?
Any advice appreciated, thanks

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi,

I think you have the right assesment. I haven't kept up with Hosts files for ad blocking in a couple of years. I found them more trouble than I cared to bother with and, to me using a hosts for ad blocking, it seemed to slow my machine down when surfing when the host got to large. Since you examined the file and the change to the loop back and it does as you wish that is the answer to your issue. I would ask myself though "why would this be happening with the pre-made Hosts file from a reputable distibutor?" I am familiar with the site your using and have thought them to be upright and honest. If they have a forum or support group you might check the threads there to see if there is a reason for what you are experiencing.

jammydodger1000

jammydodger1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for replying Silverbeard.
You mentioned "I would ask myself though why would this be happening with the pre-made Hosts file from a reputable distibutor?"

Yeah i am asking myself that, it doesn't seem right to me. I believe its down to my computer rather than anything else though.
I would of tried using the forums for www.mvps.org but they don't seem to have any, it looks to be more of a information website
Thanks again and if anyone else can think of anything please let me know

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You can take a look at news.grc.com. I think the guys that maintain it are regulars at the news groups and there are a lot of folks there that are up to date on using Hosts files.

jammydodger1000

jammydodger1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
cool thanks Silverbeard that should help :whistling: