Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msgsrv32 & rundll32 errors

• Please log in to reply

Eggman

Eggman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey, I'm trying to install an Epson printer on a computer with Win98se. I've managed to get the all the software installed successfully but when I plug the USB cable in as instructed, I'll see the 'found new hardware' box pop up immediately followed by another box saying there was an error with either msgsrv32 or rundll32 and the option to close or ignore. Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I do to correct it?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
motherboard? Windows 98 supports usb, as you are aware, but not all motherboards do without additonal drivers.

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the reply gerry. The computer I'm attempting to install it on is one I've had since '98 and have never had a problem with USB devices before. Now that I think about it, when I tried to hook my digital camera up via USB, it wouldn't recognize it (even as a mass storage device) which it had no problem with in the past. Does this make things any clearer? Thanks again for the advice.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
printer model?

...had an epson that required a special driver for USB once...made a virtual printer port, not unlike a tcpip port on a network printer.

And what has changed since the USB once worked? Has it been disabled in BIOS (bios update, perhaps)

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The printer is an Epson All-In-One CX4600. No BIOS updates. No changes in the BIOS that I'm aware of. How do you make a virtual printer port or is that something that can be easily explained? Forgive my limited knowledge and thanks for taking the time to answer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You don't need to....this was a patch for an earlier epson usb driver that had difficultty with early permutations of USB....the function is apparantly integrated.

Let's try this:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > double-click System

Click the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Click USB Host Controller, and then click the Properties button.

On the Resources tab, uncheck the Use Automatic Settings check box.

In the dropdown box, there may be several basic configurations, that look like basic configuration 0000, basic configuration 0001, basic configuration 0002...etc...Find one from the list that does not cause device(s) to appear in the Conflicting Device List, and then click OK

If you get a warning message .. ignore it and click yes

Click Close.

Restart your computer

Fix?

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
All that's listed is the 'basic configuration 0000'. There are no other options but I did uncheck the 'use automatic settings' box and restarted but I'm still getting the same error messages.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nuts....

Here's what I think is happening....First, windows 98 does not do a good job of handling resources. When you add the USB multifunction device,windows is attempting to accomodate the new device, by shifting IRQs, memory resources, etc...a multifunction device like your printer (scanner, print, fax, copy) requires an awful lot from your computer.

So, what else do you have in your computer?

Here is what I would do, and my rationale for it. Remove everything that plugs into your computer that you can....soundcard, modem, game controller....what else might be in there? Also uninstall the printer.

Do this by removing non-essential devices in DEVICE MANAGER, then turn off the machine, then remove devices, then reboot the machine.

Install printer drivers first, attach printer when directed. Then if the printer comes up, shut down, then add devices as normal.

Additionally, this is a good time to get any updates, especially chipset, sound and modem drivers.

This may work.

Incidently, what is the motherboard? And this is an integrated USB or USB add-in card?

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The USB is intergrated and the mainboard is a Jabil (Kadoka) AMD R4 #4000646. So first I would 'virtually' them then shut down the computer and 'physically' remove them? Excuse my limited knowledge again but non-essential items are items such as modem, soundcard, etc...? What about DVD-ROM, CD-ROM etc...?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, remove them from the computer via device manager, and select the printer in PRINTERS in control panel and delete it.

Here's the thing on the AMR modem...I would really hesitate at removing that. AMR modems can be a bear to get back up and running. Try just the soundcard first.

Still pondering this problem...

Is this a home built system or is there a brand model for this computer. Jabil makes circuit boards, but they don't make complete motherboards...or at least I didn't think they did.

Did you get a driver disk with this thing?

Advertisements

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry for the multiple post but I couldn't edit my last post. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that if you encounter errors such as these you can bring up the DOS prompt and actually reset your 'sysreg' (not sure that's it but something similar) to a date before the problems popped up, is this correct?

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The computer is a Gateway I bought in '99 or '00 I think. That motherboard info I got from the Gateway site by using the model number on the computer. As far as the driver disk, I really don't recall seing anything other than Microsoft Office disks that came with it.

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Come to thing of it, I can recall seeing a Gateway recovery disk. Might the needed info be on that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
model number, please?

Regarding sysreg....uhm, I know what you're talking about, but that is Windows ME and Windows XP feature, not 98.

The recovery disk will--probably, reset your windows to its original state -- ie, all your data will be wiped, so use with care. Now that I know it is a Gateway, did they provide you with a little vinyl CD case...should be a driver disk in there in addition to recovery disk...but, most importantly, give me the model number....might be able to find a manual

Eggman

Eggman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Model: -OBS REMAN BTO K7-700
As far as what disks I received, the recovery disk is the only one I recall except for the Office software disks.