Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Distance

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I think someone addressed a problem similar to this a few post ago but my distance is a little more. My wife and I are moving into a house less than 1000 feet from her parents. Her parent have wireless. They live in the middle of no where and the second and third closest people are family as well.

Any way my question is "Is it possible to boost a strong signal 1000 feet?"

If so then what would I have to buy to make this possible?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are issues with this...or at least there can be issues...
  • wireless technology is rellatively line of site...anything in the way (trees, cars, birds, sometimes wind, etc...) will cause horrible signal disruptions and just poor connections
  • the distance with any wireless system is limited (i know that's your question...so we can get to that later)
  • depending on the ISP (Internet Service Provider) there can be CERTAIN restrictions on how many computers can be connected at any given time, where those computers can be located (i.e. you can have as many PCs as you want connected as long as they're all in your house)
i would first contact your parent's ISP and verify that they do not have any restrictions in place for this kind of thing...because if there are restrictions...then you will be effectively stealing...and we can't help you with that..

second you should google "wireless range extenders" or "wireless antennas" or something to that effect and look for one with a range that's at least 100 feet longer than you want (to make up for interferance)

third...you should concider getting your own internet connection for your home as this will cause the least amount of issues...plus you wont have to worry about A) signal degredation B) interferance C) sharing bandwidth with the parents

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wireless network is usually limited to the quality of the equipment used, both in receiving and transmitting, and also the local atmosphere can play a big part as well.

If you tune your radio right along the Medium Wave/AM band after dark, it often starts to pick up lots of foreign stations that you can't pick up during the daytime. Depending on your location, you can pick up signals from countries many miles away - I myself have on at least one occasion been able to receive a perfectly good signal from a Swedish radio station after dark which was coming in stronger than the signals from French stations.

Wireless networking is on the same principle as radio, only on a much smaller scale. Therefore in theory, atmospheric conditions would be able to boost the signal to a point where it'll easily cover 1000ft after dark. But one can't guarantee this, therefore boosters may be necessary.

The easiest solution is to consider installing internet access in your own environment, and I'd be very surprised if your partner's parents can get it but you can't get it 1000ft away.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi adamdillon,

After reading the replies I though one thing was missing, the distance wireless can work up to.
Looking at the page below its up to 100 feet in most cases and 160 feet in some.
So unless you're gonna be on yout partners parents doorstep as they said, not a chance.

Here's the details I found (have a look at the summary) :

http://en.wikipedia....iki/IEEE_802.11

- Pseudopath.

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
As mentioned above, you can get wireless range extenders, and since you know people who live inbetween you and your parents, you could put extenders in these other houses.

The problem is, as has been mentioned, wireless is pretty short range, I have trouble getting onto the internet sometimes at the bottom of my garden, only 50ft away! Even with extenders, the signal will be breaking down each time it is extended, so by the time its covered 1000ft, there won't be much signal left!

If you really want to do this, you can get wireless transmitters that will broadcast your wireless network for miles, the kind of things they use when setting up wireless internet in city centres. The problem is, they are expensive, so you might as well set up 2 internet connections anyway!

Oh and if you do get it working, don't forget to encrypt it, or you'll be sharing your internet connection with the entire street!