Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Upgrade and New Build....advise needed

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi. I purchased a Gateway desktop a few months ago. These are the specs:
Gateway GT5064
Gateway GT5064 Motherboard Specs

I would like to upgrade the Gateway and use the replaced parts to build my son (5) (he loves computers and is very good with them) a decent pc that he can play games online, watch movies, etc.

The Gateway will be used for alot of internet surfing, movie watching, editing, etc. I do alot of downloading for college courses also.

As I said, the build for my son will be basically for online use, playing games, movies etc.

I'm not really sure which parts to upgrade, trade out, etc between the Gateway and the new build.

I would like to spend around $ 500 if possible. I do prefer NewEgg.

The only thing that I've got my eyes on so far is this case for my son's build:

Any and all advise would be helpful........
Should I upgrade my motherboard?

PS: I have an extra DVD +/-DL drive that I will be able to use also.
Also, my Gateway has a 19' widescreen HD monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That motherboard is a entirely non-standard board made for or by Gateway. It will never fit in any other case beside the one it is in now.

Therefore upgrades on this are limited only to putting a separate graphics-card in - assuming you can find or afford one that it likes - and upping the amount of memory/processor in the system - again if you can find a stick of memory that it likes, as Gateway machines can be painfully fussy.