Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website Sidebar

• Please log in to reply

im_in_need101

im_in_need101

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I want a customizable, custom side bar that I can change and such. I want to make a website with all custom, or requested HTML. As in, I don't want to put text into fields on pages then have sites arrange it automatically for me. Any help?

I know basic HTML/XHTML, I know how Javascript works (but I'm in need of practice with it), and I know how CSS works (but also in need of practice with it).

ex. of a side bar I'd like to be able to have a similar one of:

http://singforu.tripod.com/

(or any other, any facier side bars. I just have no clue how to have my pages centered off to the right and have info on the sides.)

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I'm not sure if I am understanding what you are wanting.

I looked at the example and that is a pretty basic layout (header, left navbar, content) and since you said you have coding experience I am wondering what you are actually wanting.

If you have some knowledge of CSS just setup a basic structure as follows:

#header {
}
#leftnav {
	float: left;
	width: 25%;
}
#content {
}

This would give you a header area, a left navigation area of 25% of the browser screen, and a content area of 75% (the rest) of the browser screen.

Now you could create a seperate div inside the navigation area and create your menu system like in the example you presented.

Again, I don't know if that is what you are shooting for...

im_in_need101

im_in_need101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ahh! I think it is! I'll go take a look and see sometime soon. Of the tutorials I read online, they never really explained how to set up navbars or whatever you'd like to call them. And I'm a little rusty, it's been awhile. Thanks for the help!