Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

LC123

LC123

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have been successfully running Windows XP, Service Pack 2, for a long time, without any problems connecting to my router, to the cable modem and to my Internet Service Provider. Then, for some unknown reason I received the Limited or No Connectivity message. I've tried a number of things to no avail: ipconfig /release and /renew, uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver on my built-in adapter, installing a PCI network adapter, recycling my router, changing CAT 5 cables and running WinsockXPFix. I'm still left with the Limited or No Conncectivity message and no connectivity to the Internet.

I have 3 desktop computers in my home as well as a laptop and I have switched ports between the various computers with no change in results. The same computer still cannot connect to the Internet while the other computers are fine. I can plug the CAT 5 cable into my laptop and the connection works just fine. When I plug the CAT 5 into the offending desktop I still get the Limited or No Connectivity message.

I could definitely use your help. Thank you.

Advertisements

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I had a similar problem with the wireless on one of my laptops a while back. It suddenly stopped connecting to my router, very much like yours. What happened with mine was that for some reason the router was failing to communicate with the laptop and it was not properly assigning it an IP address. One thing you can try is manually configuring the IP on the offending computer. Since you have working ones it'll be pretty quick.

1. On one of the WORKING computers, go to Start>>Connect To>>Show All Connections.

2. Double-click on the connection you are trying to use so that it opens in a new window.

3. Click on the "Support" tab, then click on the "Details" button.

4. Write down the IP address, the subnet mask, the default gateway, and both DNS servers.

5. Get on the offending computer. Go to Start>>Connect To>>Show All Connections.

6. Right-click on the connection you're trying to use and go to "properties"

7. Scroll down to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) icon and click the "properties" button

8. Check the bubble/box that says "use the following IP address:" and then fill in the subnet mask and the default gateway with the same numbers as you got on the other computer.

9. Do the same for the DNS settings at the bottom.

10. For the IP address, fill in the first 3 sections with the same numbers, but for the last one pick any number between 1 and 255 that isn't selected. I usually just use something like 10 or 20

11. Hit "OK" on all of the windows that are open and see if that fixes the issue.

I can't guarantee this will work, but as I said, I had what sounds to be a similar problem, so this is at least another option to try (since you've clearly tried many others already). Let me know if anything changed after you configured it manually.

LC123

LC123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
After manually entering the connection information I now receive a "Connected" status, but still no internet access. I would guess it has something to do with DNS. I did an ipconfig and the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway all appear with valid information, but there is no information listed for Connection-specific DNS sufffix.

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Did you try manually configuring the DNS, too? Or just the IP address?

LC123

LC123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I manually configured DNS as well.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this on computer that doesnt want to connect

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

LC123

LC123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had previously run winsockxpfix without any luck. However, I ran that program again and still no luck. After running the program I did lose my static IP address so I reentered all of the information: IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, preferred and alternate DNS servers.

As happened when I previously did this, I received "Connected" status, but I still have no internet access. When I ran an ipconfig in the DOS command prompt I see the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway information, but there is no information listed for Connection-specific DNS sufffix. This despite the fact that I manually entered preferred and alternate DNS servers in the IP properties.

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hm...I wonder why your DNS won't hold...try doing this:

Go back into the IP properties for your LAN connection as if you were going to change them manually again. Leave everything set up manually the way you have it, and click the "Advanced" button in the bottom right. Click on the DNS tab along the top and then hit the "Add" button under the top box. Fill in your primary and alternate DNS server addresses in there, and put the primary in the first slot. Then close out and see if it'll hold your DNS server addresses after that. It's strange that you're getting the "connected" message if you aren't really...

The other thing you may want to try is going into DOS and running ipconfig/flushdns followed by ipconfig/registerdns, if you haven't already.

LC123

LC123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Still no luck with DNS. I've tried both of your suggestions: 1) Using the advanced tab to enter the DNS server addresses, and 2) Flushdns and registerdns via the ipconfig command. Still have "Connected" status but no access to the internet.

Other thoughts?

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Still no luck with DNS. I've tried both of your suggestions: 1) Using the advanced tab to enter the DNS server addresses, and 2) Flushdns and registerdns via the ipconfig command. Still have "Connected" status but no access to the internet.

Other thoughts?

Hi LC123,

Just a few questions.

Can you post a ipconfig /all from a working PC please.

Also are you able to run this command "ping www.google.co.uk" successfully from the problem PC?

And what does the command "nslookup 212.58.224.81" result in?

- Pseudopath.

Advertisements

LC123

LC123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
1. Results of the ipconfig /all from a working PC are below.

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name...:CampFamily
Primary DNS Suffix...:
Node Type....: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled...: No
WINS Proxy Enabled.: No
DNS Suffix Search List...: hsd1.ut.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix..: hsd1.ut.comcast.net.
Description..: Intel<R> PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address...: 00-E0-18-41-A7-BE
Dhcp Enabled...:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled...:Yes
IP Address...:192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask...:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway...:192.168.1.1
DHCP Server...:192.168.1.1
DNS Servers...:68.87.69.146
Lease Obtained...:Monday, September 25, 2006 6:51:53 PM
Lease Expires...: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:51:53 PM

2. Results of the ping command from the problem PC were, "Ping request could not find host www.google.co.uk. Please check the name and try again."

3. Results of nslookup command from problem PC.

*** Can't find server name for address 68.87.69.198. No response from server
*** Can't find server name for address 68.87.85.98. No response from server
*** Default servers are not available
Server: Unkonw
Address: 68.87.69.198
Unknown can't find 212.58.224.81: No response from server

LC123

LC123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Any ideas on how to proceed? I'd like to get my computer operational again.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks for the info.

Okay another couple of things please.

Can you post the result of this command on the problem PC "ipconfig /all".
And would you please try this command too "ping 192.168.1.1".

Thanks,

- Pseudopath.

vk99

vk99

• Pip
  • 2 posts
made any changes to your software setup lately? like a new firewall or antivirus software maybe...try disabling any security software you have on temporarily and then trying to connect...

have you tried connecting directly to your cable modem, theres nothing wrong with the router coz it works to the other PCs, I'd still try connecting directly to the cable modem(if possible) ...

also the next time you get "limited or no connectivity " try going to my network places and then right click on the connection you are using select properties and under the General tab uncheck the checkbox that says notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity and then reboot the comp...see if this works

hope this helps :whistling: iam not much of an expert, just learning stuff as i go along :blink:

LC123

LC123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Here are the results of the command "ipconfig /all"

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name..................: Barbara
Primary Dns Suffix.......:
Node Type...................: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.......: No
WINS Proxy Enabled.....: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix..:
Description..............................: Intel<R> PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address......................: 00-12-3F-6F-BB-8D
Dhcp Enabled..........................: No
IP Address...............................: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask............................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway......................: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers...........................: 68.87.69.198

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State.............................: Media disconnected
Descripton..............................: Dynex DX-E101 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter <rev.f1>
Physical Address.....................: 00-0F-3D-7D-12-71

Results of the command "ping 192.168.1.1"

Pinging oy with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=150

Ping statistics for :
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 1ms