Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having trouble booting

• Please log in to reply

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
ok this is getting really wierd
i switched tghe 256 to the other ram port(if thats what its called. probaly not)
and it started again
this time i got into bios
what should i do

Advertisements

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
omg
this is really getting annoying
i got into bios but it froze
then whe i restarted
it starts beeping again

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

omg
this is really getting annoying
i got into bios but it froze
then whe i restarted
it starts beeping again

are you using the video card or the on-board? have you tried using the other?

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
http://us.dfi.com.tw...p...=MB&SITE=US
this is the link to my motherboard's website

um ive been using the nvidia video card not the on board

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

http://us.dfi.com.tw...p...=MB&SITE=US
this is the link to my motherboard's website

um ive been using the nvidia video card not the on board

try the on-board for awhile see if it still beeps

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
tried it and no change

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
these are the beep codes for your mobo....see which one comes close to what you are getting

Award BIOS Beep Codes:

Beeps

Description
1long, 2 short Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.

High frequency beeeps while running Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

Repeating High/Low CPU Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

Award specifies these codes as the only valid beep codes. If anyone knows of any others, please forward them to me for posting. Thank you

Unkown Codes:

If you know what these codes mean, plese let me know. If you have an unknown code, please let me know so I can get it added here.

One beep, starting out low, then ending high. Submitted by Stu.

Continuous beeping, each lasting about three seconds. The beeping does not stop. Seems to be CPU related. Submitted by baders.

Submissions:

Cold boot only on my new board (Asus P4T-E, bios 1005) I experienced the normal 1 beep and then 5 seconds later, 3 short beeps and then my system went into sleep mode. Changing the Suspend Mode to off OR increasing the # of seconds to enter suspend from default cured the problem. Submitted by Steve Trembley.
Award BIOS 6.00PG/Asus P4T-E: 4 long beeps when turning on your system might indicate yout CPU fan is either damaged ot running to slow. Check your CPU fan. Clean or replace it with a new one.
Submitted by Philipp Golemis
Award BIOS 4.51PG/Soyo SY-6BB: A repeating high/low beeping. This is due to excess heat alarm. Solution: Change the settings in the BIOS or add/replace CPU fan.
Submitted by Michel Carlier (Belgium)
Award BIOS/Asus A7V133: Check "Fan Check Beeping" under the "Power Management" options in the BIOS.
Submitted by Jonathan Gardner
Award BIOS 6.00/Abit KR7A-133: One low pitched tone for every 5 seconds, over and over. System boots fine, but will not reboot from a warm boot. The system will reboot from a cold boot though. Check the fan speed in the BIOS and change it to a higher speed.
Submitted by Dave Lowe - NTL
Award BIOS 4.51PG/Gigabyte GA-BX2000: Five short beeps sound when the main BIOS is corrupted and the spare BIOS has to be loaded as only choice for successful boot. Submitted by Andy

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
i think it would be

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can test your memory using memtest86+............get it here

http://www.memtest86.com/

I recommend you build both a floppy version and a CD version...keep them for your bag of tricks

the instructions are at the link

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
ok
i got memtest as an image cd
i could not get my computer to boot again so what i did was
i searched my house for a computer with the same type of ram
found one(ill call it computer #2) and since one of the ram from computer #2 was sort of blocked by a video card i replaced one of the ram with the 512 mb ram and am now running memtest
after that is done i will replace it with the 256 and run it again
ill tell you the results

another thing
maybe it is not the ram because when i turn on the computer the only thing that turns on are the fans nothing else
do you think maybe my power supply is broken

by the way thanks so much
-ben

Edited by binsch, 09 October 2006 - 06:17 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it could be the power supply...although a PITA ..if the PSU in computer # 2 is as many watts or more as the PSU in the one we are fixing you can swap it and see if you can boot up...if it does then you will have found the problem

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
no offence but even though i am sortof computer savvy i had no clue at all what you just said

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
translatition PITA =pain in the butt.....take the power supply out of problem computer...replace with power supply from your other computer

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
hey lets backtrack 1 sec
how long should the memtest be taking for 750 mb of ram(256+512)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
memtest can run for days...run it for at least 2 hrs...unless it shows any errors..then let it run another 2 hrs...if after 2 hrs or at least 1 complete set of tests and you haven't had any errors then you can just click on ESC to stop the tests....if you have any errors then the ram is bad and should be replaced...although I have in 1 computer a 512 stick of ram that has had 2 errors in 4 hrs running and the computer still works fine

Edited by happyrck, 10 October 2006 - 12:11 PM.