Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

having trouble booting

• Please log in to reply

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
it ran for 2 hrs last night but then i had to stop it
it had no errors

Advertisements

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

ok so i tried with the 256 and it worked and then it sayd total memory 257 mb or somthin
but then it said invalid boot.ini file booting from c:windows
or somthing like that
this was happening for a while before the computer started not turning on

also the memory card which it did not work on i got a couple of months ago
it was a corsair something i even have the model number and everything
do you think i can get my money back or even a new one
i am not sure if i have the pakaging still

If Boot.ini is missing or is formatted incorrectly, Ntldr displays the following message:

Invalid BOOT.INI

Boot.ini could have been accidentally deleted from the system partition, or a blank or other improperly formatted Boot.ini could have been saved to the system partition.

You haven't deleted any files or had any electrical storms recently have you? The invalid boot.ini error is your problem if you have a startup disk or repair disk this is an easy fix.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
well first i have to get the comp to strat working but thanks
if by startup disk you mean the original windows disk that i installed on it then yes i have it
thanks anyway but after i fix it ill post

anyway i have replaced a power supply before but i have a question
i have a lot of extra older computers in my house could i take the pwer supply from them because comp #2 is a computer that we actually use
the the older ones we dont really use
(when i say older i mean 5-8 years old)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
5-8 years old power supplys will probably not have enough wattage...all the newer motherboard ,CPU, and hardware use more power....get a new one at least 350 Watts...better would be 400 Watts...that way if/when you add anything you won't be short on power which can and will cause problems....you cant have to much power...your components will only use what they need...here is one for cheap...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817152020

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hi if you dont mind post a full set of system specifications if you have them, CPU wattage and whats what HDD wise, you mentioned you added an HDD, 4 years is about the lifetime of a HDD remove the old one and try using the new one.

PSU is definately a possiblilty worth replacing but remember to buy a quality one a cheapo no name brand wont do at all and you could do as much damage trying to fix it.

Try reseting your CMOS. Memory is funny sometimes it needs a good shove to properly lock in place requires a fair bit of force so make sure you are inserting it properly.

Memtest should run for more than 2 hours i would run it for 10 hours ideally or more its an overnight job.

nnaso

nnaso

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am not as advanced as most of the users on here but this sounds like it could be a memory problem to me, and possibly a hard drive problem as well.

Why hard drive?

-Incessant clicking at some point or another = hard drive issue
-Boot file missing error = PROBABLY still there but just corrupt due to hard drive issue
-Extra-Extra-Extra-slow operating system performance is evidence of a corrupt OS
-One of your hard drives is old, and it's probably the one with the OS on it

Also, are you sure that the 256MB Video card is compatible with your 4 year old MOBO? A lot of the older boards can only take a certain amount of memory. It's a toss-up as to what will happen in this case. Sometimes it will run fine. Sometimes it will run fine for awhile and then break down. Sometimes you will receive immediate errors. Sometimes you will get sporadic errors. It's the same as installing too much RAM. Many boards, even currently, only support 1GB RAM and if you install too much, interesting things happen.

What about the speed of the RAM? Any chance the RAM is too slow for the board? Something like that?

I ran into this SAME problem on a laptop, minus the OS issues, a few weeks ago. I might have even gotten the initial clicking, but I'm not sure. I installed a new hard drive and upgraded RAM on an perfectly good laptop. I went to turn it on to boot the OS cd, and I got some noises and a blank screen. Nothing. Power cycled and still nothing. I was flipping out - $1000 computer. I tried everything. Installed old HDD, still the problem. Put the original RAM back in. Nothing. I didn't know what to do. Anyway, my problem (after I THANKFULLY on a whim figured it out) was solved by putting original components back in PEREFECTLY as before and REMOVING THE LAPTOP BATTERY.

I booted it without the battery and just the AC and it started perfectly.

I deduced that the problem was caused by changing the RAM and the HDD at the same time. Apparently some Mobos are very picky and tempermental.

(On a side note, anyone know why this is?!?!?! Or why removing the batt solved the situation?!?!?)

Anyway, I would suggest uninstalling all recently new components and putting everything back to the way it was before the problems. Put the RAM in the same slots, etc. Reset your CMOS and/or Flash your BIOS if you can. You need the BIOS to re-recognize the devices as they were. If you can get it working the way it is supposed to, try installing new components 1 at a time and booting in between.

If not, I'd say you probably static fried something on your Mobo during installation of components.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
ok slow down here
i dont know the exact specs but i can tell you what i know i know the comp is almost 4 yrs old meaning anything that i didnt upgrade is to the original hd was 20 gb
this is the link to my mobo http://us.dfi.com.tw...p...=MB&SITE=US
i posted it before
i originally had 256 mb ram then i got a 512
i originally used onboard video then i got a nvidia fx 5200
um i dont know how much watts my power supply has is there a way to tell by looking at it
i have two cd drives (not that it matters) 1 cd 1 cd write read dvd
and about the hd's my os(windows xp) is on the first one
i still have the windows disk
thats all i can think of right now
if you want to know anything ill be glad to tell you just explain how i can find it out for you
i ran memtest for 6 hrs and it didnt find anything

also i can check all the extra comps that i have how do i find out what wattage they give out

and lastly this comp is not my main computer it is nice to have but is not important enough to buy new parts unless they are cheap/necessary

also the computer has some information that i need
thanks for your help if any clarification is needed ask away
-ben

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
hey nnaso could you make a new topic for your questions its already complicated enough with all these issues
thanks so much

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
His questions are fine they are just add ons to his main example if we get time we can come back to them his points are valid you should read them.

If you just put the HDD in your other computer you can access the data but you may have to take ownership of the files and it wont boot wo its own OS so you might need to adjust boot priorities and make sure its slave.

Wattage will be on a label on the PSU which is the big metal box inside the PC.

So ram is good(try it on another PC to be sure if you like), HDD you can try on another PC, CPU is probably fine we cna check that later, really it only leaves PSU and mobo which could both have been caused by a pwer surge in which case its duffed if you dont want to get new parts for it(i wouldnt either).

You might need to replace the CMOS battery try that, its a watch battery look on the mobo youll see it its a 10 pence battery so if its worth just replacing on a hunch.

Although it sounds like it might just be old age if its a bought PC then 4 years is about its life and if the PSU wasnt to great chances are after 4 years it might have gone kaput.

nnaso

nnaso

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Slow down? Do you want help or not?

My point was that I was giving you a possible reason why you're having problems. You probably changed your vid card and added the RAM and added the HDD all at once, didn't you? I was giving you a possible solution.

If you don't want help, don't ask for it.

Advertisements

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
sorry if i seemed angry
but the comp worked for more than half a year after the upgrades

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
um the power supply says that max output is 300w

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the cheaper power supplies only give about 70% of the rated power...so you may only have about 210 watts avalible when it was new

Edited by happyrck, 12 October 2006 - 01:23 PM.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
but can i replace it with one that i already own
its annoying to have to wait for a new power supply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes..... if its equal to or more watts than the one in there

Edited by happyrck, 12 October 2006 - 07:49 PM.