Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible drive issues causing blue screen crashing

• Please log in to reply

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Selective startup is to limiting
ok right click my computer >properties> device manager>hardware tab>device manager>click on the sound controller to expand click on the sound card to highlight. rightclick click on uninstall click ok reboot.
Windows should then pick the sound card up again.

ok. im in the device manager, went to sound, video, and game controllers, driver tab and hit uninstall. done.

Let it be known i dont have an original copy of xp. maybe aburned copy somewhere but doubtable.

And it didn't ask for a reboot but im doing it know anyways

Advertisements

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Dell Latitude C600

BIOS Revision A22 if you wanted to know

Also When i started up windows took a moment to go through it blue screen telling me to wait. When i logged in it found a new sound device and i ended up with the maestro back on my list in the device manager.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Good thats what we wanted it to do with the sound card.
In my signature there is a link to a memory tester.
Can you please download and run the file. If you have an A drive then make the bootable floppy.
Cheers
Peterm

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Since it was refurbished and reformatted

prior to reformatting was it operating system NTor windows95/98*Guest then they reformat to windows xp

im begining to wonder if the reformat they did went wrong

is the computer model....M3nua08a or Maestro 3i

M3nua08a is NT

Maestro 3i is 95/98/ME

they are drivers available for NT......and 95/98/ME

http://www.nodevice....OUND/page1.html

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 September 2006 - 10:52 PM.

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Can you please download and run the file. If you have an A drive then make the bootable floppy.
Cheers
Peterm

i don't have a floppy drive. period. or a cd burner

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What about a friend or at work ?

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i'll get someone to help me out. mum's too paranoid. check back in a day or so

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Cheers
Peterm

I only JUST got a copy of the program onto a cd iamge. I'll run it once i get home. We have one issue though. Now the laptop won't start...... period. It will get to the windows loading screen but once its about to show up the login screen it freezes. Entirely. Nothing respnds. once it is manually restarted it says windows was not properly shut down. It won't even start in safe mode.

Anyways. Hope this cd works. Besides starting from it anything else i should do?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Zelkin
Any Beeps when the laptop tries to start If yes how many
Short Long or combo. What has changed since we last talked. I assume you have been using the laptop?
Run the mem tester.
Thinking out loud here I wonder if we have a heat problem or a capacitor problem!
The errors we were getting point to a bad install of device driver thats why I am thinking of having Mettalica write a script. - He is up to it.
If it wont start from the cd and run the test then we need to work out what changed.

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The problem is nothing is working. I goes to the window loading screen but between that screen and the log in screen it just goes blank and sits there.

If i try and run it in safe mode its stops at something called the agp440.sys driver........ I think.

It refuses to respond too. It doesn't even beep if I hold down and buttons. Its just sits there. Once at this screen its only response is the power button.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Quick try have you a usb mose plugged in if yes unplug it. Restart
The bad news is we need a windows xp cd - If you do not know the admin password then try blank
1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
6. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
7. Press ESC.
8. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode

Edited by peterm, 20 October 2006 - 01:17 AM.

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Here's some good news. My girlfriend's dad has four windows xp cds. He also said that if I ever need one to just take it and all the needed info is on a sticky pad on the cd. And the last of the good news? I' going over there tonight so I'll do all this tonight.

And no I have everything unplugged from the usb ports.

Edit: And so you know, for breathing room, I am the admin on this comp

Edited by Zelkin, 20 October 2006 - 08:00 AM.

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Twitch*

Oooooooookayyyyyy
So. SOMEHOW none of the passwords work. Period!
So....... Since the original admin was deleted and thenew one, me, put in after install NONE of the original or new passwordswork. Period.I'm locked out. So. I'm going to attempt auto recovery and if that doesn't work I may scream and endup reinstalling. Funny thing is everytime it gets reinstalled the SAME driver messes up. Since I have a new cd now maybe that won't happen.

Any reccomendations?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
lets crack the password
I will PM you

Zelkin

Zelkin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
just so you know my only accessable aim is on my phone right now. I CAN get it on another comp but not until after sunday. But your on now by the looks of it. Don't let the aim phone thing deter you. It may be a tad slow but it still works. no large paragraphs though.

Fire away.