Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

three way TCP handshake

• Please log in to reply

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
hi guys,
im sure you all mjst eb familiar with the functioning of TCP/IP network. As you all know TCP connections are established using a three way TCP handshake like

User1 to User2: Lets have a conversations
User2 to User1: Okay, cool.
User1 to User2: Cool! Lets chat.

Now i have this question that someone asked me (it wasn't me cause i never try and delve so deep into the working to things unless i really need to - heh). He asked me "What is the reason for a three way TCP handshake? Why wasnt it two way?" Two way could have worked just fine. I didnt really have an answer. Any information y'all could share. A nice link would do just fine too!
Thanks in advance guys!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
two way would be less effective and here's my take on why:

TCP is a statefull connection...so...it depends on the connection state being active...SOOO let's say you do a two way handshake

User1 to User2: Lets have a conversations
User2 to User1: Okay, cool.
...but right here...after user2 says okay cool....the connection get's hosed....well...user2 isn't going to know that...and it's going to be sitting waiting for user1 thereby leaving the pipe open...where as if it's expecting a full three way handshake...if the connection get's hosed at the same point....as soon as user2 notices that user1 didn't send the final ACK message...it closes the connection..