Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP transfer to new case?

• Please log in to reply

JK27

JK27

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

Is it possible to transfer everything from an HP Pavilion desktop pc into a new case? (Antec, etc.)

If so, does it matter which one, or just any ATX mid case?

Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I've done this quite a few times. Computer's built in the last couple of years are easy to do and it really doesn't matter what case you use unless your using a small form case. I just did a H-P intel 2.2 computer into a antec case for a friend. His kids dumped pancake syrup all over the h-p case so he was afraid to try cleaning and reusing it.

The problem H-P's i've had are the ones with proprietary power supplys like in the older pentium 3 500 to 1 gig computers. Those you have to play around with the PS's to get them to work if you are trying to use the cases power supply. The older H-P had a wire going from the motherboard to the PS that you have to jumper so the MB will boot up.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 21 September 2006 - 08:20 AM.

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi and thanks for responding so quickly! Below I have posted the specs from the HP. Does this information tell you anything about changing to a new case and other hardware upgrades? If so, could you please advise. The pc will be used for my young son who loves computers and enjoys playing games, watching movies etc. Thanks in advance!

HP Pavilion 522n Desktop PC - Product Specifications

Model number
P8562A

Base processor and speed
C (W) 1.8 GHz/400

Chipset
845GL

Memory
Component Attributes
RAM (standard) 256/2100 DDR
Maximum 2 GB
Speed PC2100/PC1600
Type DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Two

Hard drive
60 GB

DVD drive
16x

CD-RW drive
24x/10x/40x

Diskette drive
1.44 MB (3.5-inch)

Fax/data modem
Cheetah 2 Modem

Video graphics
Integrated into Chipset, No AGP slot

Sound/audio
AC97 Audio

Network interface
10/100BT Integrated on Motherboard

USB specifications
USB 2.0
External ports
Port type Quantity
USB 6 (2 front, 4 back)
Serial 1
Parallel 1
PS2 Keyboard 1
PS2 Mouse 1

Expansion slots (total)
Slot type Quantity
PCI 3
DIMM 2

Drive bays (total)
Bay type Quantity
5.25-inch CD, external 2
3.5-inch HDD, internal 1
3.5-inch FDD, external 1
3.5-inch (other) 1

Speakers
Polk Audio “F” stereo speakers (left and right)
Other
Internal speaker cable

Keyboard and mouse
HP One-Touch Internet Keyboard
PS/2 Scrolling Mouse

Supported operating systems (OS/NOS)
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This computer will be Ok for some but not the newest games. The limitation here is the on-board graphics and no AGP slot. Newer games can be pretty graphics intensive and this computer just doesn't have that power. The computer is old enough i would not spend a large amount of money on it. I would go ahead and put another 256 stick of memory in it as XP likes 512 Mb of memory. Beyond that just enjoy what the computer can do. I have 3 old H-P computers that just don't want to quit working so they get to stay instead of ending up in my parts bin.

SRX660

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

Can't an PCI video card be added? When you say power do you mean CPU, or PS? Can't these be upgraded to make it better, along with the memory?

Either way, it should be okay to be transferred into a new ATX mid tower?

Thanks much for your time and info.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When i said the computer is not powerful enough i meant the graphics power. Most games you buy now will specify that you must hve at least a 4x or 8x AGP graphics card. There are some that won't even run on a AGP video card and need the new PCI-E video cards. Otherwise the playing will be choppy and stilted. Even a PCI graphics card will usually not be enough to run games well.

Otherwise the only thing that may not fit in another case is the DVD and cd-rw players. This is because H-P puts custom facia( front) plates on the drives to match their cases. These may not fit in a antec or similar case. You will just have to try them and see if they fit. If not Lite-on cd-rws are about $20 at newegg and dvd players are about the same price.

SRX660