Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Grub loading failure

• Please log in to reply

sayit

sayit

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My son booted up the PC..." Grub loading, please wait... ERROR 22
There is no further response from the XP boot up.
Is this a re-install project?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank-you

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
What other OS are you loading Grub to boot? With a lot of the distros I've tried you can boot the CD you installed from and reload Grub to repair it. It's worked for me several times. You can also try a FIXMBR from repair console if you have a XP install disk. This will remove Grub from the MBR.

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
If you do re-install. I find that it is much easier to install Windows FIRST, and then install Linux, otherwise you will have to edited the GRUB manually, which is doable, but can be a pain.

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks Silverbeard. My son is using Windows XP Pro with SuSe. Apparently the problem occured as I understand it,when he up sized his hard drive from 160> 250 GB. He used the XP cd in recovery console with the command "fixboot"...got "new bootsector was successfully written", but when rebooted went back to error 22.The next step was to command"FIXMBR"...but is worried that using "FIXMBR" may damage HD partition tables making it inaccessible. He has the hard drive partitioned "C" "D" "E". and is concerned for the other two partitions.Will they be affected? Any advice? Thanks.

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks Deathninja for your advice. We will set those OS's in sequence.Thanks.