Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

File deleted

• Please log in to reply

123crap

123crap

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have just deleted this file:C:\windows\system32\rcp.exe
with Pocket killbox and i can't get it back
PLS help i don't know what to do.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Set your computer to boot first from the CD in bios, put your windows cd in the cd-rom, reboot

Windows set up will start to load.

A minute or two into the process, you will be asked if you want to install windows or repair using the recover console.

CHOOSE REPAIR USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE

This will take a moment to load

When you enter your password, you will get to a prompt eventually. Type the following command

copy d:\i386\rcp.ex_ c:\windows\system32

This assumes that D: is your cd-rom.

Note: even though it says COPY, you are really expanding a compressed file. COPY from the RECOVERY CONSOLE automatically copies the file

You cannot just copy the file over in windows (assuming it is still running) and rename it. That will not work.

123crap

123crap

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Isn't there another solution because i can't find my windows cd-rom
can't I burn that file from some ones other pc on a CD and put it in to myn?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, well, probably. You would have to guard against a couple things, though....most importantly that the file come from the same version of windows xp (rtm, sp1, sp2) as that file was updated at least once.

You could, I suppose, also download the network installation from SP1 or SP2 and extract it from that, too