Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2000 Pro/explorer wont open

• Please log in to reply

iggy_montoya

iggy_montoya

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just installed DSL, last night. After installing the equipment explorer would not open to any web page. I was on the phone with BellSouth for hours, literally. Booting from safe mode, deleting norton av. The help person could sound or ping back and forth to my computer but we could not get explorer to open. He thought that there was something wrong with current software and thought that I should reload windows. Problem is there is some software, CAD, RS Logic etc. that has been on this computer for a few years and during the last couple of moves could not even begin to think where the disc/certificates are located. So the reloading is out of the question. Any thougths or advice?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi iggy_montoya...

I am assuming you are talking about Internet Explorer. When you say it won't open to any web page, what exactly do you see when IE opens? Is it a blank page? Is it a "Cannot display" message?

The more information you can give us the better...

wannabe1

iggy_montoya

iggy_montoya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Exactly! It starts to load then it says can not be displayed message does appear. I was on the phone for a couple hours with bellsouth. We tried doing with a safe mode and internet start, hoping to by pass nortons. The tech had me remove nortons, still nothing. He had me ping his computer and it responded. We tried going through dos with ipconfig commands. 2 hours (+) later he said it was a soft ware issue and that he could not help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's verify the IE security settings. If we go over ground you've already covered, I apologize in advance... :whistling:

Open Control Panel and double click on the "Internet Options" icon. Under the "Security" tab, check that the settings for each zone (icons in box) match the settings in THIS GUIDE.

Let me know what you find...

iggy_montoya

iggy_montoya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the settings. My settings were different, and I changed them. But it still shows can not display.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...one down.

Let's see if we can narrow this down a little more. If you can, please download and install Firefox. Do it from the machine you are on now and burn it to a cd or flash drive to install to the problem machine if you have to.

See if you can access pages using the Firefox browser...this will tell us if we're looking at an IE issue or something else.

iggy_montoya

iggy_montoya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the down load. I will have to do it tonight, as the computer is at home and I am in the office. Had the settings checked but can email firfox. But, I will bring the lap top home, and see if it gets on line.