Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading, need to decide motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Alright, it seems my motherboard didn't work well with my graphics card because the card was AGP 8X and the slot was AGP 4X. By the way, it was my friend's idea because it worked for him when the motherboard and card belonged to him.

I am planning on getting a new motherboard, but since processors are a little too expensive, I'm only replacing the motherboard. The thing is, I have two CPUs, one Intel Celeron 1.7GHz and an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, I want to know which one should be in my new computer.

The two motherboards I am deciding between are:

ECS 848P-A (V2.0) Socket 478 Intel 848P ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135020

And:

PC CHIPS M848A (V5.0) Socket A (Socket 462) SiS 746FX ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813185074

Which should I go with?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just my personal thoughts here. I don't like either MB. I have never liked the PC Chips Mb's and i would never run SIS chipsets. I've just had too many problems with them. On the other hand i would prefer a AMD processor over a celeron any day of the week. This leaves you in a quandry, EH!. So , i'll give you my choices.

For the AMD:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813138019

It does have the SIS graphics chipset but i like running Nvidia video cards anyway so the computer would have one in it.

For the celeron the one you picked is about the best one.

These older MB's are getting harder and harder to find so you really don't have much in choice anymore.

SRX660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Two problems with the motherboard you suggested:
-First, I don't like intergrated graphics cards.
-Second, I need an AGP 8X for my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to work properly (hence the upgrade.)

Personally, I like to keep intergrated hardware to a minimum.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Integrated hardware doesnt make a difference it just depends if you are going to use it since you arent its a moot point forget about it, although its a nice backup.

Its either the PC chips or the foxconn personally the foxconn would be my choice but neither is great.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I just don't want in intergrated graphics card because I've found a few that are a pain in the @$$ to disable, like the one on my brother and sister's computer (still can't disable it because there is no option.)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That depends on the boards make most are pretty easy to disable via bios and most auto disable when the gfx slot is used.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yeah, but I still need a motherboard with an AGP 8x slot for the graphics card I use, which means the MB recommended by SRX660 would not work for me.