Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Problems

• Please log in to reply

Baxton

Baxton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Due to overheating problems I had to transplant my dell 4700 motherboard and other hardware into a new case. The motherboard was said to be compatible with ATX so I bought a full tower that was ATX compatible. Everything was going fine until I had to put the motherboard into the the case. The dell's motherboard heatsink screw holes are slightly off center from case, when I screw in the motherboard.

Is it necessary to have those screws go through the motherboard and into the case?
Is there such thing as a screwless heatsink mount?

Also there is crust on the heatsink and cpu I'm assuming from the thermal paste used. Will I have to remove that and re-apply new thermal paste if I can use that heatsink?

Any help is appreciated

Advertisements

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Baxton -
I'll just add my 2 cents worth since I'm not sure what it is that you're describing. First off, Dell does some weird stuff to save money and scare people off from doing anything inside. F'r instance, I've noticed lots of Dells use a passive heatsink over the CPU, then a plastic shroud over that heatsink that goes straight to the case fan on the back. Saves them some money, but it's non-standard & probly doesn't cool the CPU all that well.

Anyway, I don't have lots of experience with heatsink assemblies, but I was under the impression that the hardware on the backside of the motherboard (if there is any) doesn't bolt to the case. Mine doesn't. My ATX board bolts to the case in 9 places, but none of them have anything to do with the 4 CPU mounting holes. This is on a Pentium 4. The original Pentium 4 heatsink/fan assembly used those four twist-to-bolt down pins, which I hate. If the holes were already being used to bolt down the motherboard, I wouldn't have been able to attach the original heatsink! I soon swapped that heatsink for a Zalman 9500, which uses a plastic frame on the back of the motherboard to support the fan. If the motherboard was bolted to the case right under the CPU, I would have had to remove the brass stand-offs to attach the Zalman. Obviously, I didn't have to do that either.

If you search back thru the posts, you'll find hundreds that talk about thermal paste. I've only been hanging around this forum for a few weeks and have seen several. Reader's Digest version - you should clean off the old and apply new.

Are you moving the Dell power supply over to the new case? Dell pulled off a dirty trick on unsuspecting consumers - they use (or used to, I'm still not clear on this) a proprietary wiring scheme between the motherboard and power supply. If you swapped a mb and kept the Dell PSU, or vice versa, you'd ruin one or both of the parts. If you're not changing the power supply or mb then you don't have to worry about this.

So, my answer to your original question is I'm not sure but I don't think the heatsink/CPU mounts are supposed to attach to the case. You may have some funny issues with the way Dell did things that don't apply in your new case.