Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just installed dual core now windows wont start.

• Please log in to reply

liquid347

liquid347

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
updated bios it started the first time but now wont even start in safe mode.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello liquid347...

Windows sometimes doesn't like it when critical hardware is changed. You changed CPU's then changed the BIOS version in one fell swoop. Windows may have decided it's no longer residing on the right machine.

If you have your installation cd handy, try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

liquid347

liquid347

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried to repair and now i cant even get to safe mode screen.
I updated the bios yesterday, and the cpu today.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What happens when you power the machine on? Any beeps? Does it shut back down? Describe what there is of the startup for me.

liquid347

liquid347

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
It seems to start fine, it beeps recognizes the Dual core the RAM and every thing else then it goes to the next screen and after that it restarts.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And it started doing this right after running the repair installation?

liquid347

liquid347

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes. Before the repair it would send me to the screen giving me the option to start in safe mode or last good config (neither worked). now no safe mode screen.

liquid347

liquid347

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Am i supposed to do something after the repair restart?
I didnt see a option for anything

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...

Did the repair installation complete without any problems? No hangs at say 34 minutes or so?

liquid347

liquid347

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
no it repaired in three or four mins. without any problems and it said setup would continue after restart.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of machine is this? Is it a build or a branded machine? If it's a branded machine, what make and model number?

liquid347

liquid347

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i put this together
4800 amd, 250gig hd, 3450 quadro Fx

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And you are using a retail version cd for the repair?

What's troublesome is that a repair should take about an hour to complete and will restart several times. When you first start, you should be prompted to press any key to boot from cd...after that, don't respond to that prompt...just let it boot.

It sounds like the repair didn't complete...or really get a good start...to me. Try running it again using the guide in the link I provided earlier. I'll be around here somewhere if you have questions or run into a problem.

liquid347

liquid347

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
If i reinstall my original CPU will that help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You want the new processor in while running the repair. XP will install a few new files for the dual core when it finds it during the repair.