Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp 64, worth it?

• Please log in to reply

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello my geek buddies:

Anyone who is using Windows XP Pro 64, would you be able to answer couple of questions for me? I'm thinking about upgrading my 32 bit system to 64 bit, which means I would have to buy a new motherboard, CPU, video card, and a set of new RAM (everything else is upgraded already). I have a pretty good idea of what I want; AMD 64 X2 4000+, Asus AM2 socket mobo, ATI x1600 pro PCI xpress, and Corsair Xtrem DDR2 800.

The problem is that I can't decide which operating system to get. I understand XP, XP64, and Vista will all work, but which one is best suited for daily use (Office apps, internet, music etc.) and occasional gaming? I'm leaning toward the XP Pro 64 OS, because I've heard many good things about, but is it only best suited for servers and networking stations?

Vista appears to take lots of room and memory to run, and probably will have many bugs to be fixed in the near future. I much rather getting a stable and efficient system (not flashy or with rediculous visual effects), I turn off all that xp skin stuff just to cut down the response time. Speed is all I ask for (dual core is multi-tasking plus!).

Please reply at your convenience, I thank you for your time and advices.

sincerely,

Alpha

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok now what i noticed about xp home 64 and xp pro 64 was this with the home version your could install norton corporate edition antivirus but the uninstall sheild would not load so your stuck with it in you programs you can disable it not remove it i tried with there tool removal no success ...........on the other hand they may have had some changes.

but during the same time xp pro was installing the uninstalling program for norton antivirus same program and the computer was able to uninstall it

so what im saying is i thought norton was good at the time when i didnt want it i could not get rid of it

this may not apply to you but its just some exprience of xp home 64 and xp pro 64

i say go with your gut instinct you seem to be making good choice on your changes

Edited by rushin1nd, 21 September 2006 - 10:59 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP 32-bit will run quite happily on 64-bit hardware.
There is at this time very little support for XP 64-bit hardware-wise.
You might be better waiting for Vista, or buying the new hardware now, using your current copy of XP and then maybe upgrade to Vista later.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There is a lot of popular software that will not work with the XP 64 OS, so you may decide to dual boot if you want that better hardware. Personally, I would wait for Vista before investing in new hardware. If you can add some memory to your current system, and shut off everything you don't need running, your system performance should improve. If you want to attach a Hijack This log, I will help you decide what to safely shut off. Many programs want to load and run in the background when you boot, by default, and keeping them to a minimum will help. This is especially true in OEM systems.
HTH
Johanna

alphaethan

alphaethan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks Rushin, Neil and Johanna. This is why I post on Geeks! I never used a 64 bit system, so all this information is great to know!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with Norton Rushin, and it appears that you are not alone. I know many people who had trouble removing pre-installed applications such as Norton. As for me, I'm not a Norton fan, so I know the feeling. It's a shame that retail OS have to come with all that extras, they should put it on a disk and make it a post-installation optional applications CD. Furthermore, many of the pre-installed games are trial-period only, and you have to pay more to continue use it. When you want to use your preferred applications (or the ones you've paid for), you can't removed the old ones! Arrr...

Neil (I'm laughing in my head:), because some times it's just simple to stick with what you know and use whatever it works. What a great idea, just run Win XP SP2 integrated! Imagine the efficiency:)

Johanna, thank you for your offer, I would definitely like to know more about increasing my system's efficiency. Since we are on the subject, I just want you to know that I've already shut off many unnecessary apps during my system boot. Every time I reinstall, I always do ---> run----> services.msc, and shut off things like wireless zero, alerter, IPSEC, remote registry, secondary logon, etc. In addition, I also reduce trash bin capacity to 3%, turn off system restore, reset my virtual memory to 1.5 times of my current RAM capacity, and switch visual effects to best perfomance level. After doing all that, my system runs very fast indeed, but if there's anything else you would like to add, I'm all ears (eyes:).

So the verdict at the moment indicates "stay away from 64bit for the time being", well, I agree based on what's said here.

Again, thank you for your time.

Alpha