Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

IBM 600x Thinkpad

• Please log in to reply

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I just got this one in the shop and find it an interesting project.
The battery is dead but replacements are available.
The AC adapter is still working. (I checked on that to if needed it's still availabe also)
It has a PIII 500Mhz and 64MB onboard RAM with a 64MB SODIMM (PC100)
It has a 5gig hard drive, XP professional is installed and I was suprised that it actually runs fairly well on the limited resources.

Now Notebooks are not something I normally tackle because they are in general a PITA to work on but minor upgrades are not that difficult. It's fairly simple to add RAM and change drives in portables and the owner is willing to pay a fair price for what minor upgrades can be done without major dismantelling of the unit.

Well the thing I'm looking for is if someone has experience with the RAM capability of this machine. IBM says that 320MB is the max supported but experience with desktops has taught me the manufacturors don't always publish the fact that often machines will support more than they say. The hard drive has a standard notebook IDE interface so that should be fine with a larger drive (2.5' , 9.5mm, 60gig). Add a new battery and a wireless card and this should be a nice little portable for the custumer.

My question is would it be worth trying to expand the RAM to 576MB (2x 256+64onboard) or just stay with IBM's specs and just add two 128MB modules plus a new hard drive?

Next does the HDD EIDE run at ATA 100 or 66 and is ATA 100 backwards compatable with ATA 66 in notebooks? (the owners manual doesn't say)