Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:b

• Please log in to reply

chinhart

chinhart

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have not posted to a help forum in years, so please be patient with me if I make an oopsey.

I have searched Microsoft's KB for info on this particular problem. However, nothing really seems to fit my situation. I have also searched the Internet and found very similar references to my problem, but after wading through very long forum messages, most never show an absolute resolution. Thus, my turning to you for help.

The message I receive in Windows 98SE is as follows:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff9db61.
Registers:
EAX=c00309c4 CS=0167 EIP=bff9db61 EFLGS=00010212
EBX=0156ff88 SS=016f ESP=0152fdec EBP=01530088
ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=015301d8 FS=11d7
EDX=bff76855 ES=016f EDI=0156ff74 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 8b 15 e4 9c fc bf 56 89 4d e4 57 89 4d dc 89
Stack dump:

This occurs if I right-click on an icon to change its appearance. I am able to do this with a program called Microangelo. I have used this program extensively in the past without any difficulties. However, upon doing a clean re-install of Windows, this problem appeared when I first tried to customize one of my icons. The error does not occur instantaneously... it probably takes 15 seconds or more.

Because this is a 1 day old clean install, I have re-installed all of my programs and drivers. Therefore, it is next to impossible to say if a particular program other than Microangelo is the problem. I have been regularly scanning and defragging after most program re-installs during this very long re-installation period. I have also ran System File Checker to try to catch any corrupt files. Only one problem there, and I fixed it immediately.

In chatting with HP earlier this evening about whether or not an update applied to my pc, they had me download a trial version of ASTRA32 so they would know what my system consisted of. Afterwards. I rebooted to make certain that all of its files had registered properly, then immediately un-installed it.

The update from HP did not apply to my pc. However, whilst reviewing ASTRA32's findings on my own afterwards, but before un-installing it, ASTRA32 stated that my monitor driver was not installed, even though device driver shows no problems with it. and my monitor display is perfect. Please note that I had to manually pull this driver off of my HP Application Recovery cd in order to install it with my retail version of Windows 98 instead of HP's version of a system recovery. Before getting the monitor and video drivers installed, my monitor looked absolutely horrible. Thus, I am confused about ASTRA32's finding.

Please know that just prior to the clean re-install of Windows, I had a problem installing NeroExpress 6.5oem. My pc locked up and I had to use control, alt, delete, to bring it back up again. Upon scanning my hard drive, scandisk stated that there was a problem with the boot sector of my hard drive. After hours of searching the Internet for an answer... another fairly common, but fairly difficult problem to fix... I tried a few of the fixes, none of which seemed to work. Hence, the clean re-install. But, today, I received a scandisk boot error on both my c and d drives. I have performed all SMART tests, and it shows my pc as being fine, including the hard drive. Also, it nor scandisk shows any bad clusters.

It took me days and days of hard work to do a clean install, by-passing HP's cloaked drivers, and to re-install all of my programs. I can hardly bear the thought of starting all over again.

Please respond via the forum as I have not yet enabled my mail program.

Thank you very much for all of your time and consideration.

Tammy

P.S. I have seen the recent postings and responses from another forum member regarding a similar problem. But, since it was not identical, I hoped to get specific help for my situation.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This problem was big a couple of years ago because of people downloading Kazaa to their computer. You probably need to look at your memory usage and see if some program is not letting go of the memory causing a error when you don't have any left. I would also suggest going to the malware forum to make sure you don't have a problem with some kind of malware.

SRX660