Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maxtor HDD

• Please log in to reply

mighty_falcon

mighty_falcon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

My 80gb Maxtor HDD has been giving me problems booting up quite frequently lately. This week it has been worse though. It would not boot up the OS at all, just gave me

'A disk error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart'

The only way to get it to boot up was if i ran 'Spinrite' off a floppy disk. Spinrite is a software that checks and fixes bad sectors (something like 'chkdisk' but more advanced..) It found quite a few bad sectors on the booting partition and most of them seemed to have been fixed. I tried to boot up but this time it still gave me the same error message or sometimes it even got to the screen where windows asks you in what mode to start, safe mode etc. but then rebooted when i selected any of the modes....

Is there any way to get this HDD back in working order or should i just give up on it and get a new one?

Tnx!

Advertisements